Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Road Trip!, what I plan as a summer vacation
Ashbless
post May 8 2008, 03:40 AM
Post #1

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,112

I throw open discussion on my potentially stupid move. I've been chatting online with an English fellow for a little over a year now. So in June he's coming for a vacation in Canada. The plan is to meet in Vancouver, drive across to Cranbrook and stay there a few days, continue on to Calgary and then I wave him goodbye and enjoy another week on my own.
How foolish or foolhardy to plan days of time with someone I've never actually met?
Yes, people know where I'm likely to be and when.
Yes, I'm 30mumble years old aka grown adult.

So? Wow what a blast or Are ye daft woman?

For those I have been talking to - the beluga encounter at Stanley Park aquarium is out. Apparently one of the whales in pregnant and they don't want to cause her any stress. Still may go to the aquarium - just can't hand feed and pet the whales.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pikasyuu
post May 8 2008, 04:17 AM
Post #2

suggestive cupcake

Group: Admin
Member No.: 260

It sounds weird, doesn't it? But online connections, I've found, can be extremely real. Some of the things that have impacted my life totally have been events set in motion by people I've never had a conversation with face-to-face. I think some people understand that, and some people dismiss that kind of connection altogether. Online it's like the social interaction chain backwards - instead of judging someone by their general appearance first, you're forced to get to know them based on the contents of what they say to you. That's often a lot more genuine and heartfelt, especially if they're being truthful in portraying who they really are.

That said, you still run the risk of being scammed. As long as you're as positive as you can be, you should be in the clear. Look at Matazone, for instance. How many meets have there been? How many people have formed life-long friendships and bonds because of those meets, and how many people haven't? I was discussing it with Cand the other night, and this forum itself has completely and totally spun around peoples' lives - she was married because of it, ffs! There is definitely an upside to all of this, so I say, if you're comfortable, you could really be doing something good for yourself.

I imagine it is very satisfying to meet someone you adore from an online medium. I've met a couple and found that I enjoy it immensely and so do they, mainly because I'm 100% the same in both real life and on the internet. So, whatever you do, have a good time and be yourself! biggrin.gif

--------------------
i'm like oh kimosabe,
your body is my hobby

the official 'you bitch' count: a whole lot
last updated 11/05

+Quote Post
Daria
post May 8 2008, 10:02 AM
Post #3

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

It sounds like lots of fun! I second Syuu's sentiments- I mean, I'm dating and living with a Matazonian, and most of my best friends IRL are those who I have met via either someone I know online or from forums. I also travelled up to a tiny island off North Scotland to meet someone who I'd met through *whispersMyspacewhispers* and had a great time! I'm sure it will be brilliant and although they may have quirks or traits that could get on your nerves, if you get on well online then you are sure to get along in person smile.gif

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post May 10 2008, 10:56 PM
Post #4

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

QUOTE (syuu @ May 8 2008, 12:17 AM) *
It sounds weird, doesn't it? But online connections, I've found, can be extremely real. Some of the things that have impacted my life totally have been events set in motion by people I've never had a conversation with face-to-face. I think some people understand that, and some people dismiss that kind of connection altogether. Online it's like the social interaction chain backwards - instead of judging someone by their general appearance first, you're forced to get to know them based on the contents of what they say to you. That's often a lot more genuine and heartfelt, especially if they're being truthful in portraying who they really are.

I second that - without online connections I would have been wandering around Heathrow for ages until I found a hostel or hotel of some sort.

*thanks Daria!!*

laugh.gif

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post May 13 2008, 02:36 PM
Post #5

One month to my holiday. EEP!

The elastic guns aren't finished, I still need a bathing suit that isn't all faded, and I'm still not sure where we'll stay in Calgary.

Right, breathe. Loads of time.

--------------------

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post May 18 2008, 05:06 AM
Post #6

New question then. Should I take the time, money, effort to try to be the cutest, primped, painted and nicely clothed version of myself...
or take the money for holiday fun and stranger that I have never yet met will have to deal with Ash as she is.

Cringe at the evil grammar of sentence above and then give me your opinion. Please?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pikasyuu
post May 18 2008, 05:09 AM
Post #7

suggestive cupcake

Group: Admin
Member No.: 260

Always go as you are. You should always expect a true friend or someone you want to be a true friend to love you exactly as you are, for who you are.

--------------------
i'm like oh kimosabe,
your body is my hobby

the official 'you bitch' count: a whole lot
last updated 11/05

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 02:30 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!