IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tell Me How to Spend My Time, Let's go, Internet!
elphaba2
post Jul 14 2008, 07:16 PM
Post #1

Lord of the Keys

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,329

I need a project. It's about halfway through the summer and I'm making my Canadian liquor money, and that's all well and good, but I've come to realize that 32 hours of my week is filled with nothing-time. I sit. Sometimes there's a breeze. Sometimes it rains. I need a big, cool project that will fill up my time and keep my interest. Can anyone suggest one?

The tools at my disposal include a laptop with about five hours of battery, a library card, run-of-the-mill office supplies and a bored brain. Be advised that I still have to do my job, meaning that I've got to talk to people every ten minutes or so, and that I don't have a lunch break or car.

Come all ye bored Matazonians! Give me something to do! Because no one knows better than the Internet!

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Jul 14 2008, 07:38 PM
Post #2

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

Create a beautiful origami garden! Like in the story of the paper garden. Make it a garden for all the senses. Look beautiful, sound beautiful (write some music for it), smell beautiful. I don't think it can taste that nice or feel all that nice, but sshhh.

Or not.

You could better yourself and do that thing where you read a book (fictional or non-fictional) then find two subjects relating from that book and read books about those, then repeat for these two books, and again ad infinitum. And you have a mental book tree and become a polymath!

Or daydream. It's too fun.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Jul 14 2008, 08:09 PM
Post #3

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Member No.: 606

Make a trebuchet from the office supplies. Or a giant Rube Goldberg machine.

Or learn something new. Make some flash animations or something?

--------------------
Kung fu fighting from 25th April 2010

+Quote Post
Eli
post Jul 14 2008, 10:39 PM
Post #4

M.I.A.

Member No.: 7,112

Make a zoo out of office stuff. You can draw animals on paper and then color them. Use like paperclips and tape to keep them standing. Then make exhibits for the animals. You can even make some music to play through your zoo.

--------------------
"I worship individuals for their highest possibilities as individuals, and I loathe humanity, for its failure to live up to these possibilities." -Ayn Rand

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jul 15 2008, 02:45 AM
Post #5

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

Life size paper clip person.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Jul 15 2008, 03:34 AM
Post #6

Germany > Spain...

Member No.: 2,184

Explore! Find new places and cool things. Go places you've never been before either walking or by bike. Make new friends. Sleep. Learn how to do cool things you've always wanted to do, but never had the time. Write stories (but I get the feeling you're already doing that?). Sleep. Download Google Sketch-Up or.. what's it called... that program where you have a person and you get to make them do stuff, or kill them in funny ways. Starts with an E I think.. Become unnaturally good at poker, become a millionaire, and get yourself a cool beach house. Rearrange things. Learn to juggle multiple things. Pretend to be a different person everyday. Take photos of things. Play board games. Make videos. Break into buildings. Make some cool tower thing with a deck of cards. Stay up all night and sleep all day. Try typing things with your eyes closed. Go to a sculpting class. Learn to surf/skateboard/snowboard/wakeboard/skimboard. Go to the beach. Research things and write essays on them. Do math. Study?

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Jul 15 2008, 06:23 AM
Post #7

If my woman were a fire...

Member No.: 1,473

try 3d oragami stars.
http://www.geocities.com/mmukhopadhyay/creation/star.html
You can make a ton of them, and use them as gifts or decorations. and they're pretty fun to make once you get the hang of it.
(examples of cool things to do with them)

http://jru.deviantart.com/art/Paper-Stars-17017150
http://sponch.deviantart.com/art/Stars-8651326

OR
they were originally made as wishing stars - write your name, age, and wish on the strip of paper before folding them, and keep it in a safe place. It's a silly idea, but tends to be rather ammusing.

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Jul 15 2008, 09:16 AM
Post #8

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

Erm..... I was going to surgest origami as well....... You could always teach your self how to make chainmail but turn the paperclips into the links.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post Jul 15 2008, 09:56 AM
Post #9

Light On The Surface

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 91

Given my recent successes, and your very interesting collection of weirdy-beardy folk, I'd be more than happy to propose a comp-swap. Granted that would depend on how comfortable you are with swapping addresses with someone you don't really know all that well, and your music collection being present on said laptop, but, if you're up for it, drop me a PM with a few interests and influences, and I'll reply in kind. You could even decorate the CD case with office supplies, if you like.

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Jul 15 2008, 10:00 AM
Post #10

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

Buy some beads, nylon string, metal clasps and pliers and make bracelets and other jewelery.
Learn to code in a new language.
Get hold of the music and score to Wagner's Ring Cycle and listen whilst following the score. That's about 14 hours if played non-stop. Perhaps that's not so fun, hmm.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Jul 15 2008, 08:59 PM
Post #11

Lord of the Keys

I like a lot of these! Clearly matazone is used to having lots of time on its collective hands.

I've put an origami book on hold at the library, but I have to find somewhere I can buy paper for super-cheap. Impending Canadian whiskey don't come fo free. I really like the idea of making a garden--it'd be nice to have a pretty desk.

InKy, I'm on postcardx and give away my address like a Friday night whore. The only thing I'm worried about is creating a sufficiently awesome mix. Done and done!

Izzy, I love your ideas but can do very few of them while keeping my job. I doubt they'll give me an "explore-abandoned-buildings-break" if I can't have one for lunch!

--------------------

+Quote Post
hinsley
post Jul 16 2008, 02:49 AM
Post #12

Talking Cat? Eh, its been dun.

Member No.: 288

QUOTE (voices_in_my_head @ Jul 15 2008, 07:23 AM) *
try 3d oragami stars.

You know thats really wierd cause i was wondering how to do this yesterday and never got around to looking. so thankyou. lol.

EDIT: man these things are hard to make >:(

--------------------
Drunken words are sober thoughts.

"But it's turtles all the way down!"

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post Jul 16 2008, 09:41 AM
Post #13

Light On The Surface

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 91

Don't worry about the sufficiency of awesomeness, elphaba. Your posts in the Media forum make me confident that you know your onions music-wise, so anything you send would doubtless be of a greatness.

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Jul 16 2008, 08:20 PM
Post #14

If my woman were a fire...

Member No.: 1,473

QUOTE (hinsley @ Jul 15 2008, 09:49 PM) *
QUOTE (voices_in_my_head @ Jul 15 2008, 07:23 AM) *

try 3d oragami stars.

You know thats really wierd cause i was wondering how to do this yesterday and never got around to looking. so thankyou. lol.

EDIT: man these things are hard to make >:(

They take awhile to get good at balancing, and a lot of it depends on what type of paper you're using. I suggest strips cut out of an old newpaper or magazine, fyi.

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post
EvilSpork
post Jul 17 2008, 08:33 PM
Post #15

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang

Member No.: 829

Look through magazines and newspapers to make poetry using cut out words. And obviously a few ransom notes.

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Jul 18 2008, 09:00 PM
Post #16

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

Maybe I could interest you in taking part in an art thing I am doing?
I'd need your address, As I'd have to send you a note book. The thing is kinda like this: you ask me for an idea, I reply with one, you plan it all in the sketch book and what not (will have to look for the brief, but it's on another computer not near me), then at the end of the summer/ sometime thereish you send it back me and I then go about actioning the plan.

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Aug 17 2008, 06:24 AM
Post #17

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

Junk mail makes interesting origami paper. Except, oddly, for political literature, which tends to be too thick.

Er, the paper is too thick. smile.gif

Found this out while making 1000 paper cranes in one year. It was an interesting project and strung together they made a fun wall decoration. That is until the cat decided that it was the perfect play toy.

Stuff to do? Sorry, don't really have any suggestions. Any or all of the above? Perhaps in combinations?

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Aug 17 2008, 08:33 PM
Post #18

Lord of the Keys

Eep! I forgot completely about this thread! Everybody had such good ideas and I just wound up readin' books and farting around with the iPod touch. Ah well. It's been a good summer and I'll have the same exact one next year.

So how did I actually spend my time? Well, there was the aforementioned reading/farting around, but also:
-watching the filming of an amateur horror movie
-refereeing an epic soccer game (despite the fact that I barely know the rules)
-diagnosing tree diseases
-many manicures
-sewing an awesome upholstery print as lining to my favorite backpack so now it can actually DO something
-episodes of Weeds on youtube
-finagling my way out of the all-girls' dorm at college ( ohmy.gif )
-becoming a Quebec resident
-fixing my sandals
-eating heartbreakingly delicious peanut-butter-fresh-fruit-waffle sandwiches
-reading the whole New York Times
-drawing silly things on the whiteboard

It turned out OK, I think. 3 more days of work before I leave!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 09:46 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!