Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Firewire and USB, Are giving me the biggest head ache ever
Izzy
post Jul 26 2008, 10:47 PM
Post #1

Germany > Spain...

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 2,184

So, long story short, my Camcorder connects to Firewire cables, but my computer only has USB slots. There doesn't seem to be a way to connect the two different cables. The only solution I've found so far is getting a Firewire Card thing, but I have no idea how to put that into my computer or if it'll even fit.

Help, please, anyone?

Gonna go bug the people at Circuit City and Best Buy again tomorrow, but they've sold me the wrong thing twice now. dry.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vicrawr
post Jul 27 2008, 01:35 AM
Post #2

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 374

Have you thought about looking up a USB to Firewire adapter cable?

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Jul 27 2008, 03:07 AM
Post #3

Germany > Spain...

Yep. Non-existent.

Firewire (IEEE 1394) and USB (Universal Serial Bus) are two separate high-speed bus technologies that allow multiple devices to be connected to a computer. The two technologies are not integrated, and it is not possible to connect a USB device to a Firewire port either directly or through the use of a Firewire to USB adapter.

However, that doesn't mean that your Firewire devices are useless if you have a USB port, or vice versa. Although a Firewire to USB adapter does not exist, and cannot exist because of differences in the two technologies, several companies do provide dual Firewire/USB hubs. This type of device has two ports in a single hub, which may be either external or internal; one for Firewire and one for USB - allowing either type of device to function. The combination hub is actually two separate ports combined into a single form factor for convenience; there is no conversion between Firewire and USB taking place when you use one of these hubs.

Another alternative is simply to add two separate cards, assuming your computer has enough available slots. Firewire and USB cards are both coming down in price, and adding whichever one is missing should not represent a major expense.

Gonna look into those hubs I think.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
patback87
post Jul 28 2008, 08:00 AM
Post #4

Obsessive

Member No.: 1,680

I would suggest using something like this Firewire card, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815265002 I'm not sure what kind of computer you have, but pretty much every desktop computer has PCI slots and if you haven't added anything to it you should have one or two open. Installing it is easier than you think, the trick if you have like an HP or Dell is getting the case open.

--------------------
user posted image
The Blender Radio
"'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood?" -Ralph Waldo Emerson "Self-Reliance"
"It's cozy if your Hanibal Lector." - Ace Ventura

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Jul 28 2008, 03:21 PM
Post #5

Germany > Spain...

Picked up a Nexxtech 3+1 port Firewire PCI Card yesterday. Circuit City said they'd install it for us if we bring our comp, so mom's not going to let me try. Look's like the problems solved! Thanks guys.

Well, unless we don't have an available PCI slot.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
EvilSpork
post Jul 29 2008, 03:31 AM
Post #6

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang

Member No.: 829

Putting things in PCI slots is... Really fool proof in my opinion. Tell your mom she's dumb for paying other people copious amounts of cash for something that takes 2 minutes.

dry.gif

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Jul 29 2008, 04:39 AM
Post #7

Germany > Spain...

Agreeing with the fact that my mom is dumb (unrelated, but she is..), they said they'd do it for free. tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 07:26 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!