Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Getting fit and the Wii Fit
Mata
post Aug 26 2008, 12:27 PM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

It took months of battling alternately my own scepticism and the absence of stock in shops but I finally got a Wii Fit. I've been playing on it for about three weeks now, and I appear to be three pounds lighter. So... It seems to work, although it has taken this long before any results have happened.

I've been really quite surprised by how good a work out you can get in about half an hour. Like all exercise, you get out of it what you put in, so I'm sure that you could be extremely lazy and have almost no benefits from it, but what would be the point of that?

I thought that it would be nice to have a thread for people who are trying to get in shape (and for people who are using devices such as the Wii Fit or other things to do it). My target was fairly modest because I'm starting at a reasonable level of fitness. I've only got a few pounds to go before I've got to what I think is my ideal level. After that... I think I might try and get a six pack! I had inklings of one back when I was 18ish, so it would be nice to get that again.

How about anyone else? Have you been getting fit lately? What methods have you been using?

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post Aug 26 2008, 03:31 PM
Post #2

Light On The Surface

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 91

I've been walking to and from work - 20/30 mins, twice a day, five times a week - and it's reduced my spare tyre from Tractor to something more around Bicycle. If I had the willpower to cut out all the crap I eat at work, and the beer I chug at home, I'd be in danger of actually being in good shape.

Feh. Who needs a six pack when you can have a keg?

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Aug 26 2008, 03:50 PM
Post #3

Kiefer > Jason

Member No.: 51

I'm trying to work on the diet thing right now, though it's amazing how expensive it can be to eat right...especially when you're used to mooching off of your mom and she doesn't want to buy the better for you food. /ramble I'm trying to kick my soda habit, first off, and then it's all about the better food.

My friend linked me to Spark People which is a cool site for helping you figure out reasonable goals, good diets, and helps you to track what you're doing. They even give you a weekly shopping list and daily menus that can help keep you on track. It's free too, and I think it's a good resource for those who want to eat healthier.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Yannick
post Aug 26 2008, 04:41 PM
Post #4

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 12,759

Well, sports, P.E., walking, biking, swimming, and walking up stairs several times a day tend to keep me i shape.

--------------------
Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldnít be here if stars hadnít exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life - werenít created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget God. The stars died so that you could be here today. ~Lawrence Krauss

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Aug 26 2008, 04:51 PM
Post #5

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

Speaking as an athlete I definitely feel there's a difference between being fit and being thin. I can run/swim/row longer and faster than most people that I know. But, I'm not a skinny person -- part of this is from regular weight lifting. I've started doing triathalons and I'd like to do an iron man before I'm 30.

Recently I've decided I want to lose about 20 lbs. I've kept a lot of my exercise the same but I've cut out almost all meat except for fish and some chicken. Whole grains, lots of low fat yogurt, etc. I come from a rather large family with under active thyroids and so I have to be very careful about what I eat.

I'd like to try the wii fit -- it looks fun, but I don't have a Wii. My friend does though, but we can't seem to find wii fit anywhere. It's sold out. sad.gif

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
vicrawr
post Aug 26 2008, 05:09 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 374

I signed up for a weight training class this semester. First class was yesterday. I'm sore in places I've never been sore before. But it's going to be fun.

Before that I was using the one hundred push ups website and the Shovelglove site. It uses a sledgehammer and, well, who doesn't want to get fit by jacking around with a sledge?

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Aug 26 2008, 05:13 PM
Post #7

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

I'd say yeah, there is a difference between being slim and being fit.

I can be a defined, fit 12 and a half stone easily. It's silly at work when I get my BMI done (Yeah, on a good day I can get my BMI taken ovre 60 times) and told I am overweight: Im like hello... Have you even enquired as to the amount of exercise I do? Like, SRSLY. This isn'y just wobble- I wanna flex for them, and be all; Can you crimp a hold for as long as me. But hey...

This time of year I cycle, and cycle and cycle some more. Ranges from 5 to 30 miles a day, but the most oft miles I do a day are about 14. I cycle some up and downs depending on my knees. But I have ti do these leg lift things, because when I cycle one side of muscles get built up, and that starts to move my knee cap, so I got these other, kinda counter ones to realign it. It's okay. I only really cycle in decent weather, which means come rainy. cold autumn I'll prolly stop again. Unless I have to. Pros: cycling to work makes me get an endorphine rush by the time I get there; Avoiding grumpy/ bulshy/ rude commmuters; makes me eat properly; quicker than public transport (well, depending on the distance).

Trampolining. Have a biggish one and one of those small indoor ones. Use the big one and well, I dont do flips, but I do do swivel hips and pike and straddle and just plain old bouncing, as well as like, games too. It's fun, but really take sit out of me. So, I oft only do about 20mins at most in one go. The indoor one, I play Wii boxing on it, because I tihnk it's good to jump about and use my arms, it makes it more fun happy.gif

I've not climbed at all much this summer. I liked the all over body ache of it, in a way. my arms were getting more defined and stronger, but all that' gone now. But my legs still gegt it from the cycling.

I guess I'm not so much interested in doing somthing just to get fit, more a case of oh hai this exercise is fun let's do eeyt. Feeling fitter is awesomes.

I've not had a go on one, but I'm curuous to try the Wii fit

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Daria
post Aug 27 2008, 08:45 AM
Post #8

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

Unfortunately for my body, I am inherently lazy when it comes to exercise (I hate being sweaty), I'm currently working 80 hours a week from home (so there's not even much leaving the house involved in an average week), and did I mention I'm lazy?
I do have a gym ball that I use for exercise- bouncing on it has made a noticeable diference to my thighs and it can be used whilst I'm on a break from work and watching TV or something. I also now live on the top floor of our building, so to go anywhere I have 4 flights of stairs to contend with- hopefully come the Christmas holidays and I have been going to university for about three months, I should at least be a bit fitter! My uni is about three miles or so (according to Google) from my house, and they have good cycling facilities like showers and bike lockers so if the weather isn't too bad (I'm guessing it will be pretty awful during winter) then I can cycle to uni.
I've been eating better whilst living on my own, too- there are no crisps or cakes or fizzy drinks of any kind in the house, and I had my first glass of wine in 3 weeks last night. Portion sizes are also now smaller than they were, and I am making sure that I get my 5-a-day fruit and veg (which is usually organic). I really would like to lose a considerable amount of weight: when I first moved in with Wytu, we both put on weight due to the beer and pizza nights we would have with friends and unhealthy "student" diets. I also put on weight thanks to being on the pill, although since switching brands, I have been able to control my hunger a lot more. Last time I lost weight, I didn't focus on getting fitter- just eating less. I think this time round, I will have to try a bit harder at losing weight and it would always be nice to be fitter. I miss my miles-on-end walking stamina that I had when I was back in school and living in the contryside!

I've never tried a Wii-fit, but my boss has one and had to take some time off work because she managed to pull her shoulder.
Factoid of the day.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Pikasyuu
post Aug 27 2008, 09:11 AM
Post #9

suggestive cupcake

Member No.: 260

Predictably after turning 21, I gained a liiittle bit of alcohol weight - it scared me a lot, because I had never blown up that fast. With school starting, I'm on a sudden mission to drop it all ASAP. Oddly enough, the subway diet does work. When I was a supervisor at starbucks, running around eight hours a day and having a turkey sub from there resulted in a good twenty or twenty five pound loss within a few weeks.

Right now, I'm doing that, drinking ridiculous amounts of tea and tomato juice, and having a lot of gazpatcho. Oh, and dancing. Looots of dancing. So far, all of it is working very well. I just have to stay away from really tasty things and vodka.

--------------------
i'm like oh kimosabe,
your body is my hobby

the official 'you bitch' count: a whole lot
last updated 11/05

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Aug 27 2008, 06:01 PM
Post #10

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

Agh, uni weight....

I was thrilled to bits to not have a meal plan in the dorm I've got (it's sweet as hell and I'm thanking my stars that I've got it for a year)--I'm required to cook for myself, which usually means about half of the sugar/salt/fat because I notice it so much more often. And the nearest grocery being seven blocks downhill from me = instant workout (tho my shoulders got very tired from lugging black beans, ketchup and assorted veggies in a canvas bag over my shoulder). The nice thing about Montreal is that there are hills and walking between me and wherever I want to go. And my uni gives me a free gym membership to a pool-equipped gym that is, yes, up a giant hill.

I need to resolve to stay away from free food though. Yesterday I ate free pizza and corn and cookies and soda and felt really bloated and gross. Beer might be a thing as well, but maybe I'll do a variation of the guinness diet that Mata brought up a while ago--just eat green veggies and a little rice during the day and beer at night. Mata, was the guinness diet no food + guinness? I remember it being Vastly Bad in some key way.

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
Daria
post Aug 27 2008, 08:13 PM
Post #11

Wait for the uprising

Guinness can do.. umm... "fun" things to your tummy (read: bowels). Be warned.

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Yannick
post Aug 27 2008, 09:10 PM
Post #12

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 12,759

Running! So much running, against my will. 2 miles for P.E, one mile for soccer, and I've just walked home. *complains*

--------------------
Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldnít be here if stars hadnít exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life - werenít created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget God. The stars died so that you could be here today. ~Lawrence Krauss

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Aug 28 2008, 01:23 AM
Post #13

If my woman were a fire...

Member No.: 1,473

I'm really not too worried about super-in-shape or anything, as far as I'm concerned so long as It's not causing health problems and everything (blood pressure and the like) stays within normal range, It's okay.

Currently my bmi says that I'm underweight (16.8, to be exact) but honestly - I'm just skinny naturally. That being said, weight loss is for-sure not a goal of mine right now.
But! I am trying to work on my leg and ab muscles. Meaning? At least 20 crunches each day, and I generally go on 2 mile walks at least once a week. As far as food goes...yeah, I won't lie and say I have the best diet, as I tend to be distracted by the yummier things. smile.gif But I *try* and meet the basic nutrition guidelines.

So I can't say I really can help much as far as lending advice, besides pushing the importance of lots and lots of water. That's seriously the only health rule I really took to heart. Which is probably bad but...ah, well. At least I got one?

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post Aug 28 2008, 06:55 AM
Post #14

Light On The Surface

QUOTE (Daria @ Aug 27 2008, 09:13 PM) *

Mmm, treacle-turds... Still, it's nothing compared to the devastation left after a night on the Newcastle Brown Ale. Oh, the humanity!

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
leopold
post Aug 28 2008, 09:05 AM
Post #15

Absentee Mod

From: On the face of the planet, somewhere north of Guildford
Member No.: 95

Yeah... sorry about that Inky.

I'm a total and utter lazy sod. I work at a desk, I drive pretty much everywhere, I eat all the wrong stuff... they all contribute to my current situation of having a BMI of "Why are you still alive?". Last time I weighed myself, I was totally shocked by how much weight I piled on in the last couple of years since I quit the gym. Not good.

So now I'm on a diet, I'm trying to get in a little walking during lunch, and I'm looking at the machine in the garage which should help me get fitter. It's basically a cut down version of the cross-trainer that I used at the gym; I loved that machine, I could burn 800 calories in half an hour and I had thighs of steel biggrin.gif This one, though, is currently wedged in between some old furniture and the roof box off the car.

The Wii Fit sounds like a good idea, but I just know the kids will be on Wii Sports all the time!

--------------------
Insert humorous comment here

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post Aug 28 2008, 10:09 AM
Post #16

Light On The Surface

QUOTE (leopold @ Aug 28 2008, 10:05 AM) *
Yeah... sorry about that Inky.

I know you've got a lot of things to apologise to me for, but I'm not entirely sure which one you've chosen here. Have you been force-feeding me bottles of the Broon in my sleep?

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
leopold
post Aug 28 2008, 11:12 AM
Post #17

Absentee Mod

From: On the face of the planet, somewhere north of Guildford
Member No.: 95

Not me, Inky. Not me. What sort of nemesis would I be if I didn't have hordes of henchmen to do my bidding? A pretty rubbish one, that's what! I have people to do that sort of thing for me. And according to the henchman I employed to dose you with the Broon, he tells me you drank it of your own volition and paid him for the privilege! So I retract the apology, it's your own fault.

Oh, and I should say something about you spamming a non-Daft thread, given as I'm a mod and that. But then I guess I'm guilty of the same thing right here. Erm... I'll let it pass this time. Just don't do it again. unsure.gif

--------------------
Insert humorous comment here

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 28 2008, 12:28 PM
Post #18

Ah yes, the 'Guinness and Special K' diet. I unintentionally invented that while I was working my arse off on my dissertation for my degree.

Wake up: eat a bowl of Special K.
Work.
Friend drops around near pub-closing time.
Realise I've forgotten to eat all day.
Go out and have a couple of pints of Guinness to try and get some nutrients in me.
Go to sleep.
Repeat.

I would occasionally remember to have some pasta around dinner time, but not very often.

Yes, I was very slim by the end of that, although I did weights regularly enough that I did have muscle too. I think I was about two stone lighter than I am now, but for my height apparently I'm now bang-on the ideal weight.

I would not particularly recommend the Guinness and Special K diet, but if you don't need to leave the house much then it does seem to give your body enough to keep on ticking without all the distraction and time wasting that is involved in cooking food!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Aug 28 2008, 04:36 PM
Post #19

Empowe(red)

I can be a defined, fit 12 and a half stone easily. It's silly at work when I get my BMI done (Yeah, on a good day I can get my BMI taken ovre 60 times) and told I am overweight: Im like hello... Have you even enquired as to the amount of exercise I do? Like, SRSLY. This isn'y just wobble- I wanna flex for them, and be all; Can you crimp a hold for as long as me. But hey...

Definitely, my BMI places me at the low end of the obese category/ high end overweight but my body percent fat/muscle is in the correct ratio. In fact my muscle count is higher (as I'm constantly lifting weight). Also, I've seen you froggy and you are most definitely NOT overweight.

--------------------

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Aug 28 2008, 09:53 PM
Post #20

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (Daria @ Aug 27 2008, 09:13 PM) *

I'm actually banned from drinking it for something like that reason, there are a few people who actually refuse to let me buy it/sell it to me.

Slightly more on topic, I walk to and from work on most days, excluding hangover days and when it's REALLY raining, which gives me about 4 miles a day, I work a job where I'm on my feet probably 95% of the time, up to 8 or 9 hours. Combined with my natural lankiness I'm pretty trim, and not unfit. For me to put on weight I have to eat more than average, which means when I'm not fending for myself, I don't put on weight.

Edit: There are also plenty of reasons why people should use wii fit, just look on youtube.

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Aug 28 2008, 10:51 PM
Post #21

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

Daria has a firm arse.

That is all.

Edit: Alignment

This post has been edited by funked)out_frog: Aug 28 2008, 10:55 PM

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 28 2008, 11:45 PM
Post #22

I've not checked out her arse, but I shall make a note to do so next time I see her. She is very pretty and has an ace sense of humour though, so after that I don't tend to check out a person's rump because it's rather beside the point. I shall amend this in future. I shall also check out Monty's, in the interests of equality.

In other news, hooray for the pain squashing aspects of gin on a Thursday night. My knees have been absolutely killing me for the last two days so I've not been able to exercise, but gin seems to be doing the trick.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Daria
post Aug 29 2008, 09:39 AM
Post #23

Wait for the uprising

QUOTE (Mata @ Aug 29 2008, 12:45 AM) *
I've not checked out her arse, but I shall make a note to do so next time I see her. She is very pretty and has an ace sense of humour though, so after that I don't tend to check out a person's rump because it's rather beside the point. I shall amend this in future. I shall also check out Monty's, in the interests of equality.

^_____________________^
Monty has an amazing arse. Best seen naked (but that goes for the rest of him too).

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Aug 29 2008, 04:13 PM
Post #24

Empowe(red)

haha i love that this has turned into a discussion about bottoms.

and yes, Daria's arse is quite amazing

--------------------

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Aug 29 2008, 05:32 PM
Post #25

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

From the other side of a telescope, it looked pretty pounceable. Only armed guards could keep me back.

I think dancing + walking a sh--a ton during the day seems to be working! My belly is smaller and much more pleasant.

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 02:29 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!