Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Win XP Help
vicrawr
post Sep 10 2008, 03:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 374

So, to begin, thanks for taking a look at this. I appreciate anyone giving me any help they can. I figured if anyone online could help me, it'd be you guys.

My problem happened like this. I ran Spybot S&D because it'd been such a long time since I had and I'm a bad person. It ran, I fixed the problems and immunized. Then! it wanted me to update. And I did. When that was done, I think I turned off my computer and went about my day. Cue me returning to it later that evening. I log on, it gets to the wallpaper, then logs me off. I proceed to do that a few more times before trying with the guest account. No luck.

When I Googled my problem, it seems like a lot of people have had it. It's either from a malware problem OR from the Spybot update. Apparently when you update it, if you don't uninstall the previous version and delete al of the folders, it breaks something in the registry, which is what's giving me my trouble. This has been the most informative link so far.

All of the solutions call for a CD of some kind; the OS CD for a repair console or another one that allows you to get into the registry without logging in to your computer. I may have misunderstood this, but please correct me if I have. So here's where I come to you.

My CD drive hasn't worked for some unknown amount of time. I did try to use the Windows CD and the computer started, the drive light flickered and flashed, and it spun around. But nothing. What can I do, if anything at all? Or should I just kiss everything goodbye and save up for a new computer?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Sep 10 2008, 03:49 PM
Post #2

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 197

Two thoughts spring to mind, first, can you start up in safe mode? I'm guessing no, but it's worthwhile asking. Second. Buy a new CD drive? Seriously, they're dirt cheap, assuming it's a desktop PC. Also, you shouldn't need to make software changes for it to work, just plug n play.

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
EvilSpork
post Sep 10 2008, 10:23 PM
Post #3

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 829

Yeah, try pressing F8 at boot and do safe mode. From there you might be able to uninstall Spybot OR if you do safe mode with networking you could download CCleaner and do the registry cleaner.

Also, is your CD drive set as the primary boot device? If it isn't there's a chance it will spin at boot and not do anything. Go into bios via delete key at the first boot screen and make sure the CD drive is #1 on the boot list.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 09:19 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!