Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Learning to drive!, Eek!
Mata
post Feb 27 2009, 01:25 PM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I had my first driving lesson yesterday. It turns out that I'm reasonably good at it so far. I got into third gear, managed a roundabout, reversed around a corner, and turned the car around. I got up to around 30mph too. I suspected that I was going to be absolutely awful, but it looks like I'm going to do okay at it.

Sues doesn't read my forums, so I'm safe posting this here:

She only got up to third gear on her fourth lesson. She's learning to drive at the moment too, same instructor, but she's had a bit of a headstart. The instructor told me not to mention that I'd got up to third gear, so I said I wouldn't, but I don't like lying so if she asked me a direct question then I would tell her truthfully.

When I got home Sues said to me...

'Did you get into second gear?'

'Yes,' I answered honestly. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Feb 27 2009, 02:01 PM
Post #2

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 535

I'm learning to drive at the minute. I've had to cancel two lessons this week due to my life being very hectic but I'm supposed to be taking my test during the summer holidays.... I'm not a good driver if I'm honest, Mata you seem to have covered wverything I did between october and now in one lesson. Grrr!

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Feb 27 2009, 02:11 PM
Post #3

I plug directly into my computer

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,488

All that in one lesson?

My first lesson consisted of me driving round and round Wildwood Ring Road constantly changing gear. Although I did get up to fourth. I don't think I was reversing for quite a few lessons after the first one.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Feb 27 2009, 03:15 PM
Post #4

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Member No.: 606

Roundabouts! Reversing round a corner! Crazy stuff.

I learnt to drive in my second year of uni and got as far as failing my first test, but I gave up after that as I ran out of money. sad.gif I'm a bit worried that when I eventually start learning again I'll have completely forgotten everything...

--------------------
Kung fu fighting from 25th April 2010

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Feb 27 2009, 03:52 PM
Post #5

Kiefer > Jason

Member No.: 51

Wow learning to drive over there is so much different than in my neck of the woods. I learned to drive when I was nearly 16 and it consisted of 1/2 a semester of lecture courses and written tests and then 3 2 hour driving lessons with a paid instructor. They picked me up in an automatic car, had me drive out into the country, do a three point turn, and then drive home. Learning to drive a standard was left to my mom, in a big empty parking lot.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Feb 27 2009, 05:45 PM
Post #6

I've been brainwashed

Member No.: 526

You all worry me the first driving lesson I had I was up to forth gear maybe even 5th...... And no I dont mean the instructor lessons. tongue.gif
Which I did have one the other week and have another next week I've apparently got to practice useing my mirrors more and use my clutch a gears less. My next lesson will be manouvers :s turn in the road yeh fine, reverse round corner ok, reverse parking.... I've not done (properly) since learning to drive. ph34r.gif

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Mata
post Feb 27 2009, 09:02 PM
Post #7

How are the 'learning to teach' lessons going for you? I'm sure it's very complicated!

I think how much you do on your first lesson very much depends on the instructor that you've got, almost as much as your capability as a student. It's all pot luck though - at school there were always teachers who could make any subject interesting and others who could kill your passion in seconds, and I guess it's the same with driving. My guy seems okay so far.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Yannick
post Feb 28 2009, 12:27 AM
Post #8

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 12,759

Yay for automatic cars. biggrin.gif My uncle taught me to use stick when I was 6ish, but I've never actually done it while driving. American cars are easy. So are dirt bikes.

--------------------
Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldnít be here if stars hadnít exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life - werenít created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget God. The stars died so that you could be here today. ~Lawrence Krauss

+Quote Post
Daria
post Feb 28 2009, 02:25 AM
Post #9

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

I can drive! Only it would seem, not when I am being tested.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Feb 28 2009, 12:09 PM
Post #10

Advice for the young at heart

Member No.: 33

I spent my first driving lesson going round and round in circles (left turns only) in a quiet estate - hoping desperately that I wouldn't see any other cars outside. I then feeling mortified when I stalled the car right outside a friend's house.

Mata, whereabouts are you learning to drive - will you be going in and around Oxford? When I took my test, I could choose to take it either in Oxford or Newbury. I chose Newbury simply because it was a lot quieter on the roads around there.

My instructor told me to expect between 30 and 40 hours of lessons before I could have a test. I don't remember how many I had, but even 30-something seems an awful lot!

Good luck with the new four-wheeled adventure!

+Quote Post
Mata
post Feb 28 2009, 06:11 PM
Post #11

I spent my lesson on the small industrial estate where I work. It was okay, but it was the end of the day so there were a fair few cars of people leaving work, not to mention a few huge lorries of stuff. I'll be sticking in the Oxford area, because driving's not tricky enough, so I thought I might as well throw in kamikaze cyclists too smile.gif

I don't think the instructor is thinking that I'll need that many hours of lessons, but I'm not sure. We don't have a car to practise in, so those lessons are the only time that I'll be driving. Still... It doesn't seem too tricky so far. /famous last words

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Mar 1 2009, 04:56 PM
Post #12

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

QUOTE (Hobbes @ Feb 28 2009, 12:09 PM) *
I spent my first driving lesson going round and round in circles (left turns only) in a quiet estate - hoping desperately that I wouldn't see any other cars outside. I then feeling mortified when I stalled the car right outside a friend's house.

Mata, whereabouts are you learning to drive - will you be going in and around Oxford? When I took my test, I could choose to take it either in Oxford or Newbury. I chose Newbury simply because it was a lot quieter on the roads around there.

I remember left turns in a circle! tongue.gif For my first few lessons I was extremely nervous. First lesson consisted of me crawling along a road at less than walking pace, then cacking myself and crashing into a curb. Not helped by my first car experience being playing with controls on the driveway, dumping the clutch, and practically stalling myself into the garage door. I got over it more when my instructor made me put my foot down on main roads, and get used to driving faster.

I learned to drive around Newbury also, although one of my tests decided to take me into Hampshire, so that was nice. At least in the sense of no weird Newbury roundabouts and trying to park in the stupid driving test centre (which is basically on a hill in a bush).

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Mar 1 2009, 07:18 PM
Post #13

I've been brainwashed

Member No.: 526

My lessons to teach are going quite well as I mentioned I had my first driving (well more habbit breaking than driving) lesson the other week that was pretty nerve racking but I didn't do as badly as I expected.
I think you may find you do mostly end up taking that number of lessons as the recomended number of hours for lesson was put up to 50hrs last September which included a work plan to work through (just wondering if you have one as I've only seen pictures so far).

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Mar 1 2009, 08:22 PM
Post #14

Advice for the young at heart

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Greeneyes @ Mar 1 2009, 04:56 PM) *
I learned to drive around Newbury also, although one of my tests decided to take me into Hampshire, so that was nice. At least in the sense of no weird Newbury roundabouts and trying to park in the stupid driving test centre (which is basically on a hill in a bush).

Hehe... that last comment made me laugh smile.gif

Funnily enough, the final part of my test was to reverse into a parking space at the test centre - something which had taken me several attempts in all my lessons. In the test I did it perfect first time. My instructor was watching through window from behind the Venetian blinds in the waiting room, and the look of amazement on his face was fantastic! biggrin.gif

re: driving in the middle of Oxford - I suppose it is best to learn to drive in the worst conditions as you know you should be able to handle everything after that.

+Quote Post
EvilSpork
post Mar 2 2009, 08:41 AM
Post #15

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang

Member No.: 829

The only reason I ever drove an automatic was because it was all that was available in the courses, standard transmissions are designated as something you learn on your own time. The first vehicle I got behind the wheel of was a standard and I've never driven anything else since (aside from the classes). Changing gears is the easy part, 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 and 4-5 (and in some cases 5-6) are all the same, save for where the gears are located. Now try it on a motorcycle! biggrin.gif All you have to do is pull in the clutch with the left hand and kick up with your left toe, surprisingly easier even though you're lacking a couple of wheels.

+Quote Post
leopold
post Mar 2 2009, 12:30 PM
Post #16

Absentee Mod

From: On the face of the planet, somewhere north of Guildford
Member No.: 95

I remember my first driving lesson. 20 years ago! I started my vehicle with a crank handle and had to pull seven levers and hold down the clutch bar with my foot in order to engage forward gear laugh.gif

The car I learned in was a top of the range Fiat Uno with a 5 speed gearbox, which was unusual for the 80s. My first day was on a four lane dual carriageway, with roundabouts at each end of the stretch I was on. I had the car up to fourth and doing the requisite 40mph when my instructor asked if I'd done it before! Then I went onto the nearby industrial estate to practice some manoeuvres. Did I spell that right? Whatever. Anyway, that was all on my first lesson. And dual carriageways in the 80's were considerably quieter than they are now. The one I learned to drive on now links to a motorway, and is horrendously busy.

But so much for being a natural, it took me two attempts to pass my driving test!

--------------------
Insert humorous comment here

+Quote Post
Mata
post Mar 2 2009, 01:51 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (leopold @ Mar 2 2009, 12:30 PM) *
And dual carriageways in the 80's were considerably quieter than they are now.

Except for all the sounds of neighing as your automobile scared the horses.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
leopold
post Mar 2 2009, 02:40 PM
Post #18

Absentee Mod

From: On the face of the planet, somewhere north of Guildford
Member No.: 95

And the racket from other people shouting at me to take my god-forsaken contraption off the road, for 'tis a travesty of nature and surely the work of Satan himself.

Plus you should see the price of petroleum distillate. One shilling and ninepence for an imperial gallon, outrageous!

--------------------
Insert humorous comment here

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Mar 3 2009, 02:21 AM
Post #19

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

That's very impressive! I was driving an automatic and it took me quite a few lessons to do all that you did in one. Congrats, and I hope the rest of your lessons go well smile.gif

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 10:40 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!