Forum Rules 
> UK Election time!
Mata
post May 6 2010, 12:25 PM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Please don't let the Tories win. Please don't let the Tories win...

It seems like around 90% of the people I know are voting Lib Dems, 9% are going for Labour, and abotu 1% want the Tories back in power to rape and pillage the land. The annoying thing is that I suspect that the Tories are going to win. Poop.

Anyway, I hope all you Brits have voted!

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Tarantio
post May 7 2010, 04:18 AM
Post #2

NyanNyanNyan

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 191

It's the 2004 U.S. election all over again as far as the sinking feeling in my belly is concerned. Except now this affects me directly :/

I didn't get registered in time to vote, would have voted Lib Dem, and would have needed about another 6000 votes to make a difference in my current constituency; I'm not terribly upset that I missed out, but only due to hindsight.

As I type this, the Tories are about 50 seats ahead, which has all happened in the last hour. The coalition that some people are talking about, whilst an intriguing glimmer of hope, will probably only lead to more public disapproval (doubtlessly fuelled by the media) of left wing parties. Perhaps as a nation we're better off being reminded just how incorruptably evil the Tories are every now and then so that we can decisively vote them out next time? Gah...

The other major issue for myself is the complication of living in Scotland; so far we have elected one tory MP. Compare that to 40 Labour, 9 Lib Dems and 6 Scottish National Party, you get the general idea that the tories are NOT popular up here. In addition, we have our devolved parliament as well, currently headed by the Scottish National Party (and with, as far as I'm aware, about the same low proportion of Tories). If, as predicted, this election leaves us with a Conservative government in Westminster, a very large part of extremely important policies (defence, economics, public spending and others) will be determined by a political party that holds less than 2% of the representation of Scotland. Basically, when faced with the Tories, Scotland said an overwhelming "NO!" and because of the much greater percentage of prats English representatives, we're being told "tough luck". For a country of such independent spirit, this could be fairly difficult to swallow, and it's a painful reminder that our devolved government is still a long way away from being enough of a counter to the overwhelming influence of the English vote in our country.

I'm not saying that I don't like being governed by the English; our country as a whole wants something very different to England, however, and I feel fairly justified in pointing out the unfairness inherent in the current system here, especially since the outcry from Westminster when a Scottish constituency's representative became P.M. a few years back, as if all of a sudden we were going to be dictating to them as a people. As far as my own personal view of Westminster governance goes, I disagree with a lot of the policies in place in England, especially in education, defence and immigration; thankfully, the Scottish government has power over the first of these, and our level of funding for education is actually still improving. With the Westminster government deciding how much money goes to the Scottish government each year, however, ultimately our economic future is still in their hands, and you'll forgive me (and the rest of Scotland) for not wanting those hands to be Conservative, as England is dictating to us.

I should probably mention, for context's sake, that I'm not personally interested in an independant Scotland; I believe that the obvious benefits with regards to funding and governance would be heavily offset by the complications arising from all of a sudden having a technically foreign country attached to us. I do, however, want to see an increase in the responsibilities of our devolved parliament, in order for our decisive political preference to have a larger effect on our lives as Scots, as well as Brits.

/rant

--------------------
When, will I, will I be famous?

I CAN'T ANSWER THAT, I CAN'T ANSWER THAT.

-Tara and DACE sing is available from DACETRON ltd.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Mata   UK Election time!   May 6 2010, 12:25 PM
- - CheeseMoose   I'd say most of the people I know, including m...   May 6 2010, 05:36 PM
- - CarefulMarshmallowHiddenDragon   Yep. Voted lib dem because they have more chance o...   May 6 2010, 05:45 PM
- - Daria   I spoilt my ballot. Whoever you vote for, the gove...   May 6 2010, 08:00 PM
- - Lurker in the Dark   Happy Daria then? Yup, voted LD. There was a queu...   May 6 2010, 08:17 PM
- - Daria   ANARCHIST DARIA IS SO AAAAANGRRRYYYYYY! *stomp...   May 6 2010, 08:51 PM
- - Yannick   A friend of mine posted this on Facebook. I don...   May 6 2010, 09:54 PM
|- - CheeseMoose   QUOTE (Yannick @ May 6 2010, 10:54 PM) A ...   May 7 2010, 02:48 AM
- - syuu   all of my british politic knowledge comes from thi...   May 6 2010, 10:17 PM
- - michael1384   It looks like the Tories might win. This makes Mic...   May 6 2010, 10:23 PM
- - Tarantio   It's the 2004 U.S. election all over again as ...   May 7 2010, 04:18 AM
- - Novander   My voted mattered! I'm quite happy with th...   May 7 2010, 11:06 AM
- - Tarantio   Woo! Nice one, Novy. A friend of mine recently...   May 7 2010, 12:37 PM
- - Mata   Nice one Nov. Well, the Tories got the most votes...   May 7 2010, 12:47 PM
- - CarefulMarshmallowHiddenDragon   I think I would rather have a lib dem-tory coaliti...   May 7 2010, 08:13 PM
- - Snugglebum the Destroyer   What an exciting day! I vote Lib Dem and that...   May 7 2010, 09:45 PM
- - Hobbes   I spent 16 hours yesterday handing out ballot pape...   May 7 2010, 09:58 PM
- - Tarantio   Well, I continued watching the coverage all the wa...   May 8 2010, 10:49 AM
- - Snugglebum the Destroyer   I'd rather have Tory rule tempered with Lib De...   May 8 2010, 11:27 AM
- - gothictheysay   Will you tell the uneducated American what a ...   May 9 2010, 02:08 AM
- - syuu   True - I find it interesting that they have three ...   May 9 2010, 02:14 AM
- - Tarantio   Our system at the moment is a "first past the...   May 9 2010, 05:44 AM
- - Mata   That was a damn good summary of the situation...   May 9 2010, 02:22 PM
- - Daria   I think it's because the televised debates put...   May 9 2010, 04:27 PM
- - CarefulMarshmallowHiddenDragon   Lib dems didn't get more seats than last time ...   May 9 2010, 08:10 PM
- - gothictheysay   Thanks guys! That's very interesting. I...   May 10 2010, 01:21 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2017 - 06:08 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!