IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
> Christmas Memories, (surely not too early a topic?)
Hobbes
post Nov 30 2010, 06:07 PM
Post #1

Advice for the young at heart

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33

Well, tomorrow is the 1st of December and, what with the amount of snow the UK has been receiving the last few days, I don't think it is too awful to mention Christmas. Plus, I've had a few wintery songs entering my ears today so (right now, at least) I am feeling rather festive.

I think Christmas, for most people, tends to have two opposing feelings about it. Assuming you aren't totally pre-ghosts-Scrooge-esque, and thus hate it, or for religious/personal reasons you do not take part in the holiday, there is a certain amount of excitement that begins to brew up as the 25th approaches.

However, I think there's often some sadness at Christmas, too. Being one of the major events in the year, it is usually when friends and family get together, so it is undoubtedly a time when we recall the people we have lost in our lives.

But I don't want to depress people...

--

I find Christmas terribly nostalgic, and so it'd be nice to focus on some lovely yuletide thoughts.

What I would like you lovely people to do is post some jolly memories about Christmas. They can be from your childhood (those of you that aren't still in it wink.gif), from a few years ago, or just last year. And they can feature yourself, or your friends and family, or people that are no longer with us... or your dog, etc.

But... they must be stories that are a source of happiness for you smile.gif

And if you don't celebrate Christmas, but a different event during this holiday season, then share appropriately smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
LoLo
post Nov 30 2010, 09:26 PM
Post #2

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

Umm, this was difficult to think of because my family is a pit of dysfunction and I usually dislike the holidays for the simple fact that it means an entire day of family drama...but I think I found 2 memories. Wow!

My uncle Dion who was my favorite uncle and died when I was 10, always wrapped presents with lots and lots of tape. He did so because he had trouble getting the wrapping paper to go like he would want it to. We would tease him to no end about all the tape and really enjoyed the challenge that came with opening his presents.

I get accused of copying him when I wrap presents now, because I too use an insane amount of tape. I do this however, because it helps to make the paper tighter and to have a prettier looking package. If I'm feeling really mean I'll hide the tape so it's a surprise that it's difficult to open.

The other memory has to do with my exes family. The entire 3 years we were together, we only got to spend one Christmas together and boy was it an amazing Christmas. We went to his parents house to celebrate, and no one hid anything from each other. By this I mean if I wanted to smoke (because I was still smoking at the time) I just went out to the porch and had a cigarette. We had good conversation that wasn't filled with competing for attention and oh my god the food was divine. His mom really knows how to cook a ham and even though I'm not a huge fan of ham, I really really liked the ham that she made. When we were done with dinner we all watched a movie, had some wine (which never happens at my family events) and just kind of relaxed and enjoyed each others company.

Also I met his grandparent that Christmas and they were a riot. I was trying to be all polite and proper, because that's what I was taught how to do with older people and his grandma asked me, "Do you know what the California state bird is?" and when I responded with no (because I didn't take the time to think about it and realize it's the quail), she flipped me off. haha

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 08:15 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!