IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
> Christmas Memories, (surely not too early a topic?)
Hobbes
post Nov 30 2010, 06:07 PM
Post #1

Advice for the young at heart

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33

Well, tomorrow is the 1st of December and, what with the amount of snow the UK has been receiving the last few days, I don't think it is too awful to mention Christmas. Plus, I've had a few wintery songs entering my ears today so (right now, at least) I am feeling rather festive.

I think Christmas, for most people, tends to have two opposing feelings about it. Assuming you aren't totally pre-ghosts-Scrooge-esque, and thus hate it, or for religious/personal reasons you do not take part in the holiday, there is a certain amount of excitement that begins to brew up as the 25th approaches.

However, I think there's often some sadness at Christmas, too. Being one of the major events in the year, it is usually when friends and family get together, so it is undoubtedly a time when we recall the people we have lost in our lives.

But I don't want to depress people...

--

I find Christmas terribly nostalgic, and so it'd be nice to focus on some lovely yuletide thoughts.

What I would like you lovely people to do is post some jolly memories about Christmas. They can be from your childhood (those of you that aren't still in it wink.gif), from a few years ago, or just last year. And they can feature yourself, or your friends and family, or people that are no longer with us... or your dog, etc.

But... they must be stories that are a source of happiness for you smile.gif

And if you don't celebrate Christmas, but a different event during this holiday season, then share appropriately smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Mata
post Dec 3 2010, 11:06 PM
Post #2

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I have a few. Memories tend to come out a little fragmented with me, like a picture painted on glass then broken into pieces, so here are the bits that I like:

One of my best friends Sues and I had been vaguely dating for a few months (not the Sues I was with for nearly ten years). We both knew that we would go our separate ways a couple of weeks after Christmas, but I very clearly remember lying curled up with her at Christmas listening to an album that I'd recieved that year. It was the third album by Enigma, and I still have flashbacks to that time whenever I listen to it. It's a memory of both happiness and sadness, but somehow incredibly evocative of that friendship.

I don't know why it should be a sad memory - it was a good time. It was complex, but nothing was wrong. Maybe I feel sad for how simple life seemed... But there is a lot of comfort in that memory too.

Another memory is a little more fuzzy. It was the first Christmas that I had spent away from home. My friend Martin was nearby so I was cooking a Christmas dinner for us both. I started drinking at about 11am whilst watching The Storyteller and peeling brussels sprouts. Drinking continued at a steady pace. Matt (Matthew on these forums, whom a few of you will have met) turned up at about 6pm, I think, with about another half-crate of beer. This ws then drunk. Everything else in the house with any alcohol in it was drunk. There was a lot of alcohol...

I think we have to reconstruct some of the evening based on evidence: around 36 cans of beer were empty, 1 bottle of sherry, 1 bottle of kahlua, 1 bottle of green ginger wine, and 1 bottle of brandy. There may have been wine involved, but I'm sure you can understand my lack of memory for some of the details.

I am pretty sure I utterly trounced them both on Quake III and Tekken III.

I had a hangover for three days afterwards.

It rocked.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 02:41 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!