post Apr 1 2011, 01:35 PM
Post #1

Wait for the uprising

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,735

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CT...ub=MontrealHome

You ok out there, Elphaba?

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
elphaba2
post Apr 2 2011, 03:55 AM
Post #2

Lord of the Keys

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,329

Yep! Considering keeping some vinegar in my backpack, watching the helicopters circle. Strange times we live in--I was having a smoke with my Arabic prof and he squinted up at the helicopters. "Aywah," took a drag, "There's more freedom in Egypt."

I'm usually quick to support any movement that urges transparency and government reform, but I hemmed and hawed about this one. As a foreign student paying 5x what Quebec (or French, or Swiss, or Burkina Fasian, or Tahitian, or Belgian, but not francophone Ontarian or Manitoban) students pay*, I find it difficult to sympathize sometimes. Particularly knowing that in my hometown, the cheapest state university costs about double and most universities cost well over ten times that. But then it occurs to me that this is precisely why protests like this matter--not because one should knee-jerk resist all increases in public costs, but because it's important to prevent a similar inflation/cyclic debt issue in Canada. Education accessibility is really important. So hello, Montreal police, please do not throw your truncheons, I am trying to help out your children.

*that is to say, the laws here frame tuition structure such that immigrants from a country with French as an official tongue (mind, the country, not the immigrant) pay the same tuition as Quebecois students, but out-of-province Canadians pay about 4x that, and internationals about 5x. I have beef with this as a policy for a couple reasons, but mainly because it excludes francophone Canadians from benefits given to (potentially non-francophone) Europeans, with no guarantee that they will remain in Quebec post-grad, unlike most out-of-province Canadians. It's selectionism, but poorly done selectionism. Therein lies my beef.

To give some actual numbers, Quebec students pay about $3,000/yr in university tuition, whereas the national in-province average is about 6 (so a quebec student studying in Ontario would pay about $9,000, whereas an ontario student in Quebec pays $12,000. In the states, most private universities charge well over $30,000/yr, and can reach $60,000 with room and board, which are often obligatory. It's not uncommon for public universities in the states to come to about $30,000/yr, either (eg, SUNY Stony Brook in NY, UCLA in California).

Right-o, that was a lot of me spouting off about my opinion about this weird corner of the world. Howzit going UK-wards? Has Aberdeen been seeing any similar action?

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 01:38 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!