Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Saying Goodbye to Dante
Ashbless
post Feb 5 2012, 10:48 PM
Post #1

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,112

A few weeks back on Facebook I posted about how the cat seemed to be losing weight this winter and didn't seem quite himself. Last weekend I took him in to the vet for a checkup. Just to see how he was generally in their humble opinion.
They found something. I paid for an x-ray and blood test.
Dante has cancer. His heart is also starting to fail and this is leading to shortness of breath as fluid gets on his lungs.
Right now he's not too bad. He sleeps a lot, he's lost a lot of weight, and he's lost interest in his toys but he's still eating and purrs at night.
He's trying to sing his kitty opera but where he could once be heard outside the house he can now only be heard faintly in the next room.

Today is his final day.
Tomorrow the mobile vet is coming to end his life.

So it's been a f*cking horrible week and today is a b*stard of a day. The GD sun should have the decency to show it's face so that at least he could rest in some sunbeams but it's overcast and grey. Why in the world didn't I catch it sooner? Not that I could've done much. Am I picking the wrong time to say goodbye? I don't want his end of life to be miserable. His heart was supposed to go suddenly and take him out quickly. Isn't that why he was born with a frail heart?

Goodbye furry one. Companion of 15 years and two provinces. One of the few who liked going for a ride in the car.
You're going to be dearly missed.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BigMistake
post Feb 6 2012, 02:57 PM
Post #2

Obsessive

Member No.: 17,519

QUOTE (Ashbless @ Feb 5 2012, 11:48 PM) *
A few weeks back on Facebook I posted about how the cat seemed to be losing weight this winter and didn't seem quite himself. Last weekend I took him in to the vet for a checkup. Just to see how he was generally in their humble opinion.
They found something. I paid for an x-ray and blood test.
Dante has cancer. His heart is also starting to fail and this is leading to shortness of breath as fluid gets on his lungs.
Right now he's not too bad. He sleeps a lot, he's lost a lot of weight, and he's lost interest in his toys but he's still eating and purrs at night.
He's trying to sing his kitty opera but where he could once be heard outside the house he can now only be heard faintly in the next room.

Today is his final day.
Tomorrow the mobile vet is coming to end his life.

So it's been a f*cking horrible week and today is a b*stard of a day. The GD sun should have the decency to show it's face so that at least he could rest in some sunbeams but it's overcast and grey. Why in the world didn't I catch it sooner? Not that I could've done much. Am I picking the wrong time to say goodbye? I don't want his end of life to be miserable. His heart was supposed to go suddenly and take him out quickly. Isn't that why he was born with a frail heart?

Goodbye furry one. Companion of 15 years and two provinces. One of the few who liked going for a ride in the car.
You're going to be dearly missed.

Sucks to hear. I don't know if you believe in an afterlife, but I hope you can find solace in the fact that he won't be suffering anymore. sad.gif

+Quote Post
TigerLily013
post Feb 6 2012, 05:03 PM
Post #3

~~Sanity Impaired since 1986~~

Member No.: 82

Ashbless I know how it is. I recently had to put my dog Marty down in November since his quality of life went downhill so much he was a shell of his former happy lab self.

Before he left I gave him a treat and called him a good dog (he drove me nuts over the years, destroyed all kinds of stuff etc but he always was an awesome dog).

I'm still dealing with it to this day but you are doing the right thing for your kitty.

--------------------

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Feb 7 2012, 01:30 AM
Post #4

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

My condolences... when you ask yourself whether you should've caught it sooner, or what else you could've done, remember that you're just a human being, and I'm sure that you did the best you could for him. I'm sure his life was incredibly happy with an owner like you and you made the end of his life as peaceful as you could.

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 11:53 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!