Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blogging, Having a go.
Hobbes
post Jun 17 2012, 11:33 AM
Post #1

Advice for the young at heart

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33

Over the past *cough* years that I've been using the internet, I've kept a few online diaries and had a few little websites here and there. All eventually fell by the wayside when other things stole my time away (or I just became bored with them). I keep thinking about keeping a diary again; something I've done on-and-off since I was about 10, but haven't decided on the format yet.

An online friend of mine also has had various websites over the years, most of which have been closed down due to time restrictions and having other commitments. However, more recently she has decided to keep a blog. Hers is part diary, part cookbook, part photoblog, and partly to keep track of her interests. No specific topic I guess is what I am saying.

Inspired by her dedication, I decided to start a blog too...

...And ended up with three wink.gif

A Pet Shop Boy
At work, there are so many amusing/stupid moments with customers that we always have said we should write them down. So I decided to keep a little record of any that happen, or any that I remember from the past 8 or 9 years I've been working in a pet shop.

Aurally Yours
I'm no great music critique, but I enjoy my relationship with music. More specifically, my relationship with individual songs. So this is just a self-indulgent exploration at the songs I enjoy, or memories to do with music.

Animals From Slightly Below
And this kinda came from nowhere. I took a photograph of a Guinea Pig a little while ago (this one) and, for some reason, it amused me because of the angle. On a whim, I decided to then keep taking photographs of 'animals from slightly below'. So far I've managed to keep it updated every day since May 19th. Today is the first day I don't have anything scheduled, so I should really go take a photo quick smile.gif It is silly, somewhat random, and some of the search engine keywords that have arrived at the blog are worrying. But still. It's fun to have something creative to do.

I would be interested to know if any other forumites keep a blog? I manually check The Matazone Blog every now and again (because, for some reason, I always forget to just use RSS features), but would like to read other people's creative moments too.

Incidentally, my friend's blog is called Reverberations and is definitely worth a read. Her 'about me' reads: "I'm a web developer who likes to pretend I'm a baker/photographer/blogger/world traveler. I aspire to improve my German skills. Best buddies with a white mini schnauzer." Her schnauzer is very cute smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BigMistake
post Jun 17 2012, 02:03 PM
Post #2

Obsessive

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 17,519

/le read

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 17 2012, 05:51 PM
Post #3

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

It was odd starting mine - I never wanted it to be entirely personal, because it is a public part of an entertainment website, but I wanted to at least put a few things of my life in there. I still update occasionally whenever there is something I want to rant about or that is too cool to miss, but Facebook has taken over a lot of the more 'micro-blogging of cool things' side of my life. I suspect Pinterest is going to steal content too because it takes things that I find visually interesting.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Yannick
post Jun 17 2012, 11:22 PM
Post #4

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 12,759

I've been shamelessly using the Roses and Thorns thread as my personal diary for a few years now. I've had LiveJournal and Tumblr attempts, but it's just not something I was interested in keeping up with. To Narth's pleasure, I'll never let the Roses and Thorns thread die. biggrin.gif

Amused by your first blog. I don't see why he eats his sammich in the back. >_>

--------------------
Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldnít be here if stars hadnít exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life - werenít created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget God. The stars died so that you could be here today. ~Lawrence Krauss

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Jun 18 2012, 12:07 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (Mata @ Jun 17 2012, 06:51 PM) *
Facebook has taken over a lot of the more 'micro-blogging of cool things' side of my life

I find it a little strange that Facebook hasn't tried to create an area for more traditional blogging, since it would easily lend itself to something like that. The 'notes' function is about as close as it gets really, but that's not quite the same. I guess they ultimately don't want people to write ONE BIG POST to cover the day's events. They wants LOTS OF LITTLE POSTS instead, as this means people will check FaceBook more regularly and therefore generate more revenue from advertising.

QUOTE (Yannick @ Jun 18 2012, 12:22 AM) *
Amused by your first blog. I don't see why he eats his sammich in the back. >_>

I honestly have no idea :/

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 22 2012, 10:36 AM
Post #6

It wouldn't do any harm to add a blog section to Facebook, I think. It already has a sufficient number of people on there for it to be a suitable platform for publicity and journalism. Facebook succeeded because of the appeal of micro-blogging, but I don't think that this necessarily means that it has to stop there.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Jun 30 2012, 04:13 PM
Post #7

I also suspect that FaceBook would prefer to have companies pay to be linked to FROM FaceBook, rather than host substantial content themselves.

i.e. I imagine they get some referral money for having links to The Guardian, Yahoo News, etc. etc. etc. Chances are, if they decided to incorporate a blogging platform, it would probably be just via an app that they would link to for monies, rather than something internal to Facebook

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jul 8 2012, 08:32 PM
Post #8

Tricky - that would certainly be the easiest for them to maintain, but they would get more revenue for their own advertising than referrals, so I would think that they would try to pursue that option. It's not like they don't already have all the data to begin with...

Then again, it might be like Twitter removing the 140 character limit - it might undermine the appeal of the platform. Facebook was the first major micro-blogging success and they would be keen to avoid damaging that.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Pikasyuu
post Sep 29 2012, 11:47 PM
Post #9

suggestive cupcake

Member No.: 260

The notes feature is fb's idea of a blog, I believe.

--------------------
i'm like oh kimosabe,
your body is my hobby

the official 'you bitch' count: a whole lot
last updated 11/05

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Oct 4 2012, 02:21 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Pikasyuu @ Sep 30 2012, 12:47 AM) *
The notes feature is fb's idea of a blog, I believe.

Yeah, I know a couple of people that use it like that. But it isn't really shown off very well.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 08:44 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!