> Not A Fault, Just A Question
elf
post Jun 16 2003, 08:45 PM
Post #1

disappear with the wandering wind

Group: New Members
Member No.: 294

Umm...

Mata... how much space (in MBs) and bandwidth (in GBs) does the forums take up every month? How much is your domain? Who's your host?

LOL... Just curious... ok I'm gonna stop... bye!

--------------------

You were right if you thought I was dead all this time.
BUT NOW I'M ALIIIIIIIIIVE! 8]

user posted image This is Alex my naughty little husband, he likes my oddness. =D

e-daughter=emiliza*e-brother=cheese is funny*e-sister=candice*e-older-sister=lindylouwho[/b*e-sister=[b]happybunny*e-sister=hinsley*e-cousin=craziness
founder of the anti-mtv movement*SNAPELURVE*grand designer of -ISH*super associate 1 of rwl inc.*we love geeks club*e-police*mr.sb death cult*legion of monkeys that fly sideways*we lurve mata
iway ovelay igpay atinlay
forum whore*anime/manga whore*anti-whore whore
noobs=n/a*graduated n00bs=gothic angel, emiliza, chester, angel_death, docbrown1985*step-noob=starfish*graduated n00b of=craziness
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 17 2003, 05:36 PM
Post #2

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

It's not possible (as far as I know) to isolate how much bandwidth the forums use, but I can tell you that my site eats 112GB of bandwidth a month, which truly is a ridiculous amount.

My site is hosted by Design R, the main man of which is Jay, who very kindly allowed me to have a discount on the price of the hosting in return for a link from the main page (on the left hand column, about two thirds of the way down). Jay is also one of the very early members on this forum from when he was helping me set it up. He offers really great customer service and I'd recommend his hosting service to anyone who has a larger-than-personal website.

If you're looking for a personal site host then I would recommend searching online and getting the email address for ten or fifteen people that you don't mind the prices of, you then email them all at once stating clearly what you are looking for (size, bandwidth, any scripting eg. PHP) and what sort of content will be on your site (business, personal, charity etc.). You can then pretty much ignore anyone who doesn't reply within 24 hours and certainly ignore anyone who takes longer than 48. If they don't care about talking to you when they don't have your money just imagine how bad they will be once they already have it!

how much space (in MBs) and bandwidth (in GBs) does the forums take up every month? How much is your domain? Who's your host?

So, in order: not sure and I don't have time to find out right now, don't know, the hosting costs... Let's just say it's around six month's rent where I'm living right now, and Design R who have a link on the front page.

'Hope this answers your questions.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
hinsley
post Jun 17 2003, 06:50 PM
Post #3

Talking Cat? Eh, its been dun.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 288

woah, thats a lot, unless you live in a one dollar inn but im guessin you dont. laugh.gif so therfore i do wow at the expense. and feel like getting a job and sending money.

--------------------
Drunken words are sober thoughts.

"But it's turtles all the way down!"

+Quote Post
elf
post Jun 18 2003, 03:19 AM
Post #4

disappear with the wandering wind

Member No.: 294

o_O Wow that's a lot... thanks for the info... o_O...

--------------------

You were right if you thought I was dead all this time.
BUT NOW I'M ALIIIIIIIIIVE! 8]

user posted image This is Alex my naughty little husband, he likes my oddness. =D

e-daughter=emiliza*e-brother=cheese is funny*e-sister=candice*e-older-sister=lindylouwho[/b*e-sister=[b]happybunny*e-sister=hinsley*e-cousin=craziness
founder of the anti-mtv movement*SNAPELURVE*grand designer of -ISH*super associate 1 of rwl inc.*we love geeks club*e-police*mr.sb death cult*legion of monkeys that fly sideways*we lurve mata
iway ovelay igpay atinlay
forum whore*anime/manga whore*anti-whore whore
noobs=n/a*graduated n00bs=gothic angel, emiliza, chester, angel_death, docbrown1985*step-noob=starfish*graduated n00b of=craziness

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jun 18 2003, 09:37 AM
Post #5

When I first started this site I think it was supposed to cost 40 a year! Then Mittens went online and within a couple of months I was paying 120 per month in charges for going over my allocated bandwidth so I had to move servers... These days it does cost a lot but for what I'm getting it's really quite reasonable.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
reaper
post Jul 13 2003, 12:49 AM
Post #6

I live again......

Member No.: 358

*bump*I would love to have a place like this for my own but I dunno if I would have the time to maintain it *sigh*

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Jul 14 2003, 11:21 AM
Post #7

Engrish Ranguage Student

Member No.: 338

another question.....what is a cookie? (There's an option to delete all cookies ath the bottom of the board index)

Was just wondering...?

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
Alanity
post Jul 14 2003, 01:12 PM
Post #8

FUEGO!

Member No.: 386

QUOTE (WeeJ @ Jul 14 2003, 12:21 PM)
another question.....what is a cookie? (There's an option to delete all cookies ath the bottom of the board index)

Was just wondering...?

.matazone.co.uk TRUE /forums FALSE 1089710674 forum1member_id 386

^ a cookie ^
Tis just some info that the site saves on your pc, if you have netscape or something similar (I'm using k-meleon) then they can be found in cookies.txt in your prefs folder, if you use ie then they're individual files in the cookies folder.

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Jul 14 2003, 01:25 PM
Post #9

Engrish Ranguage Student

So its something like the computer remembering the site its been to?

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jul 14 2003, 01:31 PM
Post #10

Yeah, a bit like that. A cookie is a file that cannot be bigger than 4k and it saves useful bits of information between pages on a website, for example it remembers your username and if you are logged into the board.

They can be great, but they can also be used to track what adverts you have seen, what pages you visit, what links you click so they can be just another way of companies finding out ways to target more and more products at you.

Hmm... I think I may have found a theme for a Mr Snaffleburger introduction...

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Jul 14 2003, 01:34 PM
Post #11

Engrish Ranguage Student

laugh.gif

In that case its probably a good idea my bosses are completely computer illiterate laugh.gif

Mata...please don't torture Mr SB anymore ohmy.gif :'(

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
Alanity
post Jul 14 2003, 02:57 PM
Post #12

FUEGO!

Hmmm, torture by cookies. Interesting.

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Jul 14 2003, 03:02 PM
Post #13

Engrish Ranguage Student

so how ecactly can 'the corporation' get hold of the cookies?

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jul 14 2003, 03:49 PM
Post #14

Currently that is a big question for companies. There are various methods that are being used to try and track what you look at so that you can have more idrected marketing.

If you have a look in the cookies folder on your computer you'll probably see a lot from people like 'adserve' and others. These are cookies put there when you saw adverts, the cookies would also record if you had clicked on the advert. This data can be read on the internet and used to try and target you for things that you feel you really want to buy.

Fortunately it's not immensely sophisticated yet, but it is being worked on.

Far more sophisticated are setups like Amazon where the products you browse buildup a database of your interests so they have a profile of you. To put it another way, if you kept on asking to buy lots of copies of The Anarchist's Cookbook (a book about how to make bombs from household chemicals) it would definitely be ringing a bell somewhere. Which may be a good thing... It's a very grey moral area.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Jul 14 2003, 03:52 PM
Post #15

Engrish Ranguage Student

QUOTE (Mata @ Jul 14 2003, 04:49 PM)
The Anarchist's Cookbook (a book about how to make bombs from household chemicals)

My boyfriend had that book **blush**

Isn't this method of advertising kind of naughty? I'm guessing there is acually an option to not recieve these cookies?

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jul 14 2003, 03:56 PM
Post #16

Therein lies the key to it all... How much information should people be allowed to store about us? Loyalty cards do the same thing. Some shops if you haven't visited for a month will send you a 10% off voucher to entice you back... Is this good or just worrying?

You _could_ disable cookies on your machine but then things like this forum would require you to login on every page, alternatively if you have Firewall software you could get it to tell you everytime something tries to create a new cookie, but frankly there are so many being made constantly these days that you'd spend half your time online turning them down.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Jul 14 2003, 04:17 PM
Post #17

Engrish Ranguage Student

Whats the worst that could happen? more annoying advertisments or something much worse?

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
Alanity
post Jul 14 2003, 04:29 PM
Post #18

FUEGO!

Speaking of advertisments they're getting much more sophisticated now, I've heard that you can make flash popups now, flash banner ads are bad enough, especially when they use flashy things that make my eyes feel like they're about to explode blink.gif .
I usually use proxomitron which is a really good app to get rid of pretty much all web annoyances.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jul 15 2003, 03:54 PM
Post #19

Well, the current way things are going is that adverts will be tailored to suit each individual. This could be good, this could be bad.

I personally think it's bad. It means that pretty much every advert will be for something that you're interested in buying... That doesn't sound too bad, but just think about going through life with a constant stream of messages telling you about great things that you want to buy. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has money issues and would rather not know about the things that I can't afford. It's easy to ignore an advert for car insurance because I don't drive, but if it was for a nice spangly MP3 player I'd probably pay more attention.

Fine, I do want an MP3 player, but I can't afford one. If we are constantly being told that the best things are things that we don't have (because we won't be advertised things we already own) this will generate a huge amount of disatisfaction with our lives. It encourages the viewpoint that not only are we walking cash-dispensers for companies but that we are only as good as the consumer goods we own, neither of which is something that I am comfortable with.

If I want to buy something I'll go and find out what's the best that I can afford, maybe save up for it for a few months and buy it. I don't want to be told about it constantly by people I don't trust and I don't want to be told that I am deficient without it.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 08:34 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!