IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So I Work At A Wal-mart..., Will the corporation soon own my soul?
Lightfoot
post Jul 1 2003, 02:29 AM
Post #1

That's 'Sir Guppy' to you

Group: New Members
Member No.: 418

I was just wondering if everyone would consider me a hypocrite, loser, or otherwise unsavory if they knew i worked at one of the most disgustingly enormous corporations out there? It's just a summer job, and beleive me, I TRIED AND TRIED to get a job elsewhere before i tried walmart... heheh maybe you'll feel better to know that I do a really crappy job?

So, Wal-Mart: We know it's trying to take over the world, but will one summer of such work destroy a person? Discuss.

(btw, I hope I'm posting in the appropriate forum. Darn job is part of my everyday life anyway wink.gif )

--------------------
I am an Ocelot in Sun Tzu's "Animal Spirits" Club. (matching av included!)

"I was raised by a cup of coffee."
"Don't be afraid, take all you need from me, and we'll be strong together."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jul 1 2003, 02:33 AM
Post #2

Candbrush Threepwood

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 345

lol...i don't think it will destroy you. especially not one summer!

it may even make you more amusing! i once read this thing online called "confessions of a wal-mart employee"....wherein this guy revealed all sorts of hilarious and true things that happened at the wal-mart where he worked. i'll have to find that again...he was a friend of a friend.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
cheese is funny
post Jul 1 2003, 02:43 AM
Post #3

I post more than I speak

Member No.: 116

as long as your making money...

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
espresso_bean
post Jul 1 2003, 02:45 AM
Post #4

come run with me

Member No.: 410

hey, if you do lose your soul, you can write a book about it. or make it into one of those after-school specials on the tele.

--------------------
connoiseur of myriad caffeine based liquids,queen of spades humanitarian solitarian, chester's e-sis, interpretive dancer, painter, wielder of the leaping irish nudists, pseudo-ballerina, opera-singer extraordinaire, franz kafka groupie, flirter, hand shaker, sculptor, theatre set designer, robert smith's secret lover, sizzlie's e-spouse ,official uber barista of the league of -ish. but above all this, i am Alicia. [sig chopped by Mata]

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Jul 1 2003, 02:45 AM
Post #5

ever-hopeful since 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

QUOTE (Lightfoot @ Jun 30 2003, 09:29 PM)
So, Wal-Mart: We know it's trying to take over the world, but will one summer of such work destroy a person?

No. My mother's worked there for over 3 years now, and it hasn't hurt her any.

+Quote Post
StangeDivine
post Jul 1 2003, 05:24 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 420

Yeah, I've got a summer job at Roots clothing (very coporate Canadian chain), this summer, too. It's a last resort, but it's money.

Just tell yourself that you're only working there to bring down the coporation from the inside. wink.gif

+Quote Post
espresso_bean
post Jul 1 2003, 05:25 AM
Post #7

come run with me

Member No.: 410

laugh.gif very nice outlook. i want a job. nowhere decent is hirin'.

--------------------
connoiseur of myriad caffeine based liquids,queen of spades humanitarian solitarian, chester's e-sis, interpretive dancer, painter, wielder of the leaping irish nudists, pseudo-ballerina, opera-singer extraordinaire, franz kafka groupie, flirter, hand shaker, sculptor, theatre set designer, robert smith's secret lover, sizzlie's e-spouse ,official uber barista of the league of -ish. but above all this, i am Alicia. [sig chopped by Mata]

+Quote Post
oobunnie
post Jul 1 2003, 08:30 AM
Post #8

''Am'nt I the cutest ickle bunny?'' asmodeus

Member No.: 64

Wal-Mart isnt all bad, as far as I understand you get a snazy blue vest and stickers. Now what can be better then that laugh.gif

and its not Wal-Mart thats taking over the world, its Microsoft and Disney wink.gif

--------------------
Heaven has a road, but no one travels it; Hell has no gate but men will dig to get there. ~Chinese Proverb
I am the Ickle Mascot of Ish
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination!

+Quote Post
everlasting gods...
post Jul 1 2003, 12:26 PM
Post #9

Super advanced member

Member No.: 274

as far as I understand you get a snazy blue vest and stickers

Can't go wrong with stickers.

As for the summer job at Wal-Mart, money is money no matter how you make it. Make the best of it while you are there. Here are a few pointers:

1. If they have the Kodak Digital Photo centers (you scan your own pics and crop em and what have you) start by placing one finger in the top left corner of the screen and another at the bottom right corner of the screen and press at the same time. This will bring up an administrative settings screen and will have the system passwords and screen resolutions and auto-start and shutdown options and well.........you get the idea. Have fun!

2. Find out the numbers to the payphones in and around the store (dial 1-800-555-1140 from the payphone and listen for ANI) then call it right when someone is walking by and tell them not to move and you are sending security out to search them or something else like "come back into the store you forgot such and such" or "excuse me, sorry to bother you but you left your kid in here" or just say "Wal-Mart Loves You"

3. Play video games in Electronics! Most Video Game consoles in these stores use demo discs to show their products, just chum up to the electronics clerk and see about bringing your own games in. Tell him/her that your console died right after you bought such and such a game and that you want to see how it plays.

Wal-Mart can be fun.

--------------------
(insert witty comment here)

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Jul 1 2003, 01:44 PM
Post #10

Engrish Ranguage Student

Member No.: 338

Wal-mart owns a huge chain of superstores here in the UK called ASDA.
I used to work in the coffee shop of one of them.
It crushed my spirit and made me smell of bacon.

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
everlasting gods...
post Jul 1 2003, 02:00 PM
Post #11

Super advanced member

Member No.: 274

and made me smell of bacon.

The sweet sweet scent of fatty pig parts. Why must these meaty animals offer up so much tastiness!!??

/me seeks out cytogenetic mapping image of piggy DNA to unearth the mystery.

Pass the pig!!

--------------------
(insert witty comment here)

+Quote Post
WeeJ
post Jul 1 2003, 02:06 PM
Post #12

Engrish Ranguage Student

Member No.: 338

I don't actually like bacon. I'm not really a meaty person.

--------------------
Go Go Gadget WeeJ!

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jul 1 2003, 03:27 PM
Post #13

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

Working for a corp actually works better sometimes. Corps can afford to pay you more, stay busier so they can give you more hours, and they can afford to give you medical benefits. I work for a lil mom and pop store right now and I'm making min wage and getting 22 hours a week, where I need more like 40 a week and about 1.00 above min wage, which I am more than worth, but they can't afford to give it to me.

Like other people said before, a jobs a job. Now if it becomes your career then start worrying.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Pikasyuu
post Jul 1 2003, 07:41 PM
Post #14

suggestive cupcake

Group: Admin
Member No.: 260

Yes. The corporation will eat your soul.

But it loves you!

--------------------
i'm like oh kimosabe,
your body is my hobby

the official 'you bitch' count: a whole lot
last updated 11/05

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Jul 1 2003, 08:25 PM
Post #15

Took this grammar!

Member No.: 165

heh heh. That reminds me of a thing that happened to me a few days ago. My mom forced me to come shopping with her. She wanted to get capri pants for me. Which I hate. Which I've told her time and again that I won't wear. Anywho, I wore my Mr. Snaffleburger T shopping and the perky salesgirl read it and laughed politely. I don't think she got it. She had to read it twice.

Erm...is there a point to this story? Oh yeah, I remember! I didn't get any capris. And all was good. bono tempora (can't sp)

--------------------
Everytime the blue screen went out, Stan the weatherman suffered an existential crisis.

+Quote Post
Lightfoot
post Jul 2 2003, 12:41 AM
Post #16

Wow... thanks for all the imput guys! Yes, Wal-Mart certainly supplies me with lots of stories. But the place is trying to brainwash me. "Sam Walton was awesome. Wal-Mart cares. Our customers are special to us." blah blah blah... Well hopefully my college job at the humble yet very un-corporate dining hall will cure me of such nonsense. tongue.gif

I try my best to be an "intelligent" cashier... and I'm also a very lazy one:

"Oh, there's no price or bar code on this. Do you remember what it cost?"
"No idea... how about 5 bucks?"
"Sounds good to me."

--------------------

+Quote Post
racingaway13
post Jul 2 2003, 02:03 AM
Post #17

theres a chance im dead... 25 a poke!

Member No.: 122

my prediction, you will die within the week and wal mart will own your soul and force you to listen to elevator music for all of eternity.... that or an angry mob of IMF protesters will stomp you to the floor and rape you.....
happy times working at your local money grubbing corperation!

--------------------
"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" Gahndi
caffine is truely good for you *starts twitching uncontrollably*
this sig is best viewed using notepad...i do this because no one wants to read my stupid crap

ok so on to the party affiliations....
i now have a noob!!! yay! zoey yay! you came to the forums! hehehe, and im one step up, i already know her! go zoey go! be anti-social in a social setting!i have an e-sister!!! yay!!! go raven!!! i used to be married to ninja kitty but she abandoned me so now my e-wife is kawaii neko who is hot and sexy. rawr
i have no anti noob, PM me for anti adoption possiabilities i have no life, PM me for donations
i do in fact have a vodka imp!! YAY!! shes called yodel and lives in my computer case
i do in fact also have cult of my own, its the -ness cult so join so that we can spite those -ish barbarians
i have a acid bunny that gives me trips and trips to las vegas... his name is Dr Gonzo and i need to rent a convertable...
i am a proud member of the mr SB death cult and i have the smitemaster to prove it
i have seized craziness as a minion, i dont care what she grumbles and such, i seized her and i dont see anything in the geneva convention otherwise
im writing alot now, so be happy you know alot about what great humanitarian efforts i have made in this forum!
also, go to My blog

+Quote Post
Lightfoot
post Jul 3 2003, 01:58 AM
Post #18

Update on job from hell:

Today an enthusiastic young child asked me the following:

"Do you like working at Wal-Mart?"
"Yeah, it's a pretty nice job."
"Do you get FREE STUFF?"
"No, but I do get stuff a bit cheaper."

This kid was maybe eight. Boy, the corporation really does infect the minds of our youth!

My mom says maybe he was a little spy to see how happy I was with my job. You know, checking to see if I was properly brainwashed.

The corporation LOVES me...

Seriously, though, why don't I get free stuff?

--------------------

+Quote Post
oobunnie
post Jul 3 2003, 02:31 AM
Post #19

''Am'nt I the cutest ickle bunny?'' asmodeus

Member No.: 64

well my guess would be, that since your work at walmart and there cheap.. i mean *cough* a huge corporation that employs so many workers, they would probably go belly up if they gave out free stuff to all of the many employies that they have. BTW hello did you forget about the stickers, you get them free. laugh.gif

doesnt walmart have employee of the month and ect. Most large corporations (McDonalds, K-mart, and 7-11 are the ones I know do this for sure) usually have small competions going on that you can win small prizes with there logo on. So yeah they might have more free stuff

--------------------
Heaven has a road, but no one travels it; Hell has no gate but men will dig to get there. ~Chinese Proverb
I am the Ickle Mascot of Ish
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination!

+Quote Post
Oni Usagi
post Jul 3 2003, 03:52 AM
Post #20

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 240

Unfortunately, to live in this society you must conform to some of it's aspects. This may be a very pessimistic way to look at it, and it may make small children cry. But unfortunately there isn't a easy way to escape, short of finding an empty island in the middle of the ocean and hoping no government ever finds you. And to do that you would most likely have to sacrifice technology, and modern conveniences. Most people of today would not be too eager to do this, including the older generations. So many of us anti-conformists find ourselves working for companies whose policies make us want to wretch on the expensive suits of the people who run them. Much of us only get these jobs to appease our parents, to be able to buy stuff, or to pay for schooling. It is an evil that is there, I don't believe it is necessary but I am uncertain as of how to override or sidestep it. So I say this, if you don't like your job working for a money grubbing corporation that doesn't really care why you're working for them or how your life is. Find a local store/restaurant or other place of business in you're local community that is hiring (if it suits your interest) and see if they need help. The pay might not be as good, or it may be better, it all depends. But at least your supporting cash-flow and economic well-being on a more local level, as opposed to being the pawn of some evil mind controlling corporation.

Fight the Power
F--- the system
etc. etc. etc.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 07:41 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!