IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do You Go To Private Of Public School?, Now? Then? In the future? It all works!
Private? Public?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 28
Guests cannot vote 
Jaq
post Jul 30 2003, 05:25 PM
Post #1

Took this grammar!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 165

Hey, I was just wondering, there seems to be a stigma in some countries about going to public schools and I never really got that here. I've always gone to public schools and usually the only people who go to private schools are there because they want religion in school.

--------------------
Everytime the blue screen went out, Stan the weatherman suffered an existential crisis.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Debaser
post Jul 30 2003, 05:29 PM
Post #2

Steadily spiralling into the abyss

Group: New Members
Member No.: 154

public...although public schools are called state schools and private schools are called public schools over here...:S

--------------------
6:30pm
How Much Do You Reckon This Food Processor's Worth? Well? How Much Is It Worth? Come On. For F--k's Sake Just Hazard A Guess You Half-Witted Proletarian S--t - We Haven't Got All F--king Day. This Is A Game Show, Not A F--king Waiting Room. Now Spit Your F--king Answer Out Or I'll Kick You All The Way Back To Whichever P--s-Streaked Council Estate You Crawled From, So You Can Hatch The Rest Of Your Futureless Offspring In Empty-Handed Misery. Now Answer Me, C--T.

Explicitly confrontational version of The Price Is Right.

Shiny Blog

+Quote Post
elf
post Jul 30 2003, 05:32 PM
Post #3

disappear with the wandering wind

Member No.: 294

PUBLIC <3

Although I don't like school, period.

--------------------

You were right if you thought I was dead all this time.
BUT NOW I'M ALIIIIIIIIIVE! 8]

user posted image This is Alex my naughty little husband, he likes my oddness. =D

e-daughter=emiliza*e-brother=cheese is funny*e-sister=candice*e-older-sister=lindylouwho[/b*e-sister=[b]happybunny*e-sister=hinsley*e-cousin=craziness
founder of the anti-mtv movement*SNAPELURVE*grand designer of -ISH*super associate 1 of rwl inc.*we love geeks club*e-police*mr.sb death cult*legion of monkeys that fly sideways*we lurve mata
iway ovelay igpay atinlay
forum whore*anime/manga whore*anti-whore whore
noobs=n/a*graduated n00bs=gothic angel, emiliza, chester, angel_death, docbrown1985*step-noob=starfish*graduated n00b of=craziness

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Jul 30 2003, 05:32 PM
Post #4

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

Confusingly, here in England, "public school" means the same as "private school". "State school" is one funded by the government.
I went to a private high school, for two reasons. One, the state schools in my area are utter crap. I needed to go to a school for the gifted, or I would have just spent my time staring out of the window.
Unless I was getting beaten up, which bring me to the second reason. I had some problems in my junior school - quite frankly, I was psycho. I once threw a chair at a teacher, and I once assaulted a lunch lady. I'm really ashamed of it now, but basically my parents took me to a psychologist (I have the report around here somewhere, it's an interesting read) and it all comes back to my IQ. Basically, in a state school, I would have died. I needed to be around people like me.
At the end of the summer I'm going to college, re-entering the state system. I think I'm prepared for the real world now.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Jul 30 2003, 05:33 PM
Post #5

ever-hopeful since 2003

Member No.: 54

I go to a private boarding school of sorts. I suppose it's kind of an accelerated university program which lets highschool juniors and seniors take college courses and live there on the campus 2 years early...

It's selective by... well... intelligence and performance level... instead of by religious preference.

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Jul 30 2003, 05:37 PM
Post #6

Took this grammar!

Member No.: 165

We have a few schools for the gifted kids in my province and some programs in the regular schools for kids who aren't quite ready for the gifted schools. They are only in the bigger centres and they're all funded by the government (public schools).

--------------------
Everytime the blue screen went out, Stan the weatherman suffered an existential crisis.

+Quote Post
oobunnie
post Jul 30 2003, 05:39 PM
Post #7

''Am'nt I the cutest ickle bunny?'' asmodeus

Member No.: 64

I never been to a private school. The only private schools here that I've heard of a religous, for parents that consider the child to gifted for public school. or for special needs kids.

--------------------
Heaven has a road, but no one travels it; Hell has no gate but men will dig to get there. ~Chinese Proverb
I am the Ickle Mascot of Ish
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination!

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Jul 30 2003, 05:40 PM
Post #8

ever-hopeful since 2003

QUOTE (Jaq @ Jul 30 2003, 12:37 PM)
We have a few schools for the gifted kids in my province and some programs in the regular schools for kids who aren't quite ready for the gifted schools.  They are only in the bigger centres and they're all funded by the government (public schools).

I'm on academic scholarship, but people have to pay to attend my school normally... therefore making us privately funded... we were also started by completely private interests, and although we receive some state money, more and more funding is found privately.

+Quote Post
VVes
post Jul 30 2003, 05:42 PM
Post #9

iHuman

Member No.: 483

I have been to both a paid "Catholic School" Elementary and State funded Public High Schools and now college...which is City Gov. subsidised ...eegh ...I'm tired already!! When will the insanity end???? smile.gif

--------------------

I live in my own little world, but it's ok they know me here.
Solo pensando en ti Dayan

+Quote Post
espresso_bean
post Jul 30 2003, 05:46 PM
Post #10

come run with me

Member No.: 410

ah -the horrors of public schooling.....especially in oregon. wretched really. now that i'm all colleg-ish....i have to actually pay for school. how messed up is that? rawr. 14, 000 a year. sickening. plus another 500-1, 000 for extra classes i want to take for the hell of it. since they don't offer psychology at my art college. booo on that. studying the human psyche is art. so i spend extra for psych and philosophy classes. garr.....me no likey.

--------------------
connoiseur of myriad caffeine based liquids,queen of spades humanitarian solitarian, chester's e-sis, interpretive dancer, painter, wielder of the leaping irish nudists, pseudo-ballerina, opera-singer extraordinaire, franz kafka groupie, flirter, hand shaker, sculptor, theatre set designer, robert smith's secret lover, sizzlie's e-spouse ,official uber barista of the league of -ish. but above all this, i am Alicia. [sig chopped by Mata]

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Jul 30 2003, 05:48 PM
Post #11

My direction

Member No.: 495

I go to a state school and its hell. The school is supposed to be one of the top state schools aroundand still...

1)The fact that everyone is mixed ability makes it really had for the more able students (which apparently includes me) to get along. We dont get as much attention as the less able students, and the teachers aint as good (im comparing my school to a private school several of my friends go to).

2)Without in any way promoting myself here, i have one of the the highest IQs in my year, im in a "special class" for the top 15 pupils. And it still makes no difference.

3)The teachers have no control- which is partly due to the fact that they are underpaid and hate their jobs imho. I have been physically beaten up by a gang of older kids in front of 3 teachers, who did nohing about it.

Excuse the whine, but i really envy those people who have enough money to get to a private school. You're getting a better education, and a better life.

Oh and the university i want to go to wont accept lower than A*s in A level from state schools

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
porcelainwarrior
post Jul 30 2003, 05:48 PM
Post #12

not forgotten

Member No.: 323

i go to public/state school because i fear change ... i was supposed to go to a private school from third year in highschool onwards but i didnt want to. i was then supposed to transfer to a school for "intelligent" writery/arty/drama type people for fifth and sixth year but i was into science too and they had crappy resources ....

i actually prefer state school ... cause no one really gives a crap about anyone else and so i get left alone to succeed or fail as i see fit ... doesnt work out well for most but im doing fine biggrin.gif i think there would have been too much pressure at private school for me to do well and i would have failed miserabely and ended up like my mother ...

--------------------
Little solace comes to those who grieve
When thoughts keep drifting
As walls keep shifting
And this great blue world of ours
Seems a
house of leaves

+Quote Post
Mingtea
post Jul 30 2003, 05:51 PM
Post #13

Lanky Mofo

Member No.: 403

Low funding

Overcrowding

This and more can be found at your state schools (public)

Yeah i'd go private.

--------------------
CODE
</geek>

MultiplayUK - Great LAN parties, attend today :)

+Quote Post
porcelainwarrior
post Jul 30 2003, 05:59 PM
Post #14

not forgotten

Member No.: 323

QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Jul 30 2003, 06:48 PM)
1)The fact that everyone is mixed ability makes it really had for the more able students (which apparently includes me) to get along. We dont get as much attention as the less able students, and the teachers aint as good (im comparing my school to a private school several of my friends go to).

ok i will admit that my school has a really crappy system that way too ... all the bad kids get herded off into a specific wing of the school and disposed of as quickly as possible, the rest are luimped together and the more intelligent have to go to these stupid meetings a few times a year that have no purpose but to make us even more of a target for dumbass bullies that havent been turned into stew by the dinnerladies yet ...

as for the teachers we used to have great teachers but theyve all left ... we only have a couple of truely good techers now which is just horrible ... sad.gif ... im still in mourning for my history teacher ...

--------------------
Little solace comes to those who grieve
When thoughts keep drifting
As walls keep shifting
And this great blue world of ours
Seems a
house of leaves

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Jul 30 2003, 06:07 PM
Post #15

My direction

My tutor left this year after 26 years of service.

She was the most amazing PSE and RE teacher ever- i never once saw her make a mistake or get embarassed in class.

/salutes Mrs Heath

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jul 30 2003, 06:36 PM
Post #16

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Both!

10-16 I went to a private school

16-... well... I guess I'm still studying so until now! Government funded colleges/universities.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
monkey_called_na...
post Jul 30 2003, 06:50 PM
Post #17

I'm an inefficient bear. Maul.

Member No.: 408

i used to go to a national awarded blue ribbon school. called carlinville high school top ten in the usa... but i droped out because i had problems with teachers (id ask questions they couldnt answer and get kicked out for being a smart edit) now im going to an a scoool (alternative) for drop outs like me... i would have been a 6th years seinor because if your kicked out of class in chs you dont get a assignment and if your kicked out more then 5 times you dont get a grade and have to retake the class...lets jsut say i was kicked out of class almost every day in almost every class(were also on block 8)

--------------------
ATTACK SLOTH!

It's gonna get you... eventually.

+Quote Post
depressed fromag...
post Jul 30 2003, 06:53 PM
Post #18

Super advanced member

Member No.: 453

I've been to all sorts of schools, some much better than others. I went to grade 1 in Seoul, S. Korea, where incredibly enough, the teachers were bribed by the parents to favour their kids. I remember a time I forgot my reading book and getting yelled at by the teacher, while my partner, who also forgot his book but had his parents paying the teacher got off scotch free. Yeah, it was pretty screwed. And I still think the system is operating that way, sadly enough. Anyways, that was the main reason my mom took off with me and my sis to England, so we could get a better education than the one we were getting then. I went to a private girl's school from grade 2-3, and seriously, if I were to say my favourite thing about that school it would have to be the Shepard's Pie. biggrin.gif (mmm...) Not to say that the school's education wasn't top notch. It wasn't bad. wink.gif Then I moved to Canada (sigh) and went to public school, which isn't very bad compared to some of the other "state schools" you people described earlier. Currently I'm attending a public high school, and despite some recent budget cutbacks my school isn't in the extreme regions (as in, extremely bad or extremely good). I guess the whole point is, Shepards Pie is good. tongue.gif Oh, and that private school is definitely better.

--------------------
Back to the thorny ditch from whence you came, Whore of Babylon!

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Jul 30 2003, 06:58 PM
Post #19

My direction

Whats the bullying like in private schools? Cos in state schools like mine it is a serious problem, none of the teachers seem to be able to stop it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
VVes
post Jul 30 2003, 07:11 PM
Post #20

iHuman

Member No.: 483

QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Jul 30 2003, 07:58 PM)
Whats the bullying like in private schools? Cos in state schools like mine it is a serious problem, none of the teachers seem to be able to stop it.

Back in 1 to 6 grades in Catholic School, it was vicious, except everyone kept quiet and they waited for you to be alone to attack.

In 7-8 in "funded" schools the humiliation was public, even inside the room with the teacher present...

In college, it's a little of both... hehehe

::smile...your mouse is watching::

--------------------

I live in my own little world, but it's ok they know me here.
Solo pensando en ti Dayan

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Jul 30 2003, 08:10 PM
Post #21

ever-hopeful since 2003

I'm moving this to Issues, as it seems to have gone beyond a simple tally into a full-blown discussion...

Continue on as you were.

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jul 30 2003, 08:49 PM
Post #22

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

QUOTE (espresso_bean @ Jul 30 2003, 10:46 AM)
ah -the horrors of public schooling.....especially in oregon. wretched really. now that i'm all colleg-ish....i have to actually pay for school. how messed up is that? rawr. 14, 000 a year. sickening. plus another 500-1, 000 for extra classes i want to take for the hell of it. since they don't offer psychology at my art college. booo on that. studying the human psyche is art. so i spend extra for psych and philosophy classes. garr.....me no likey.

western oregon, yes. schools over there are total crap...i went to em for 8 years..lol.

but in eastern oregon, the schools are really good. your side of the state tends to forget we even exist though, lol tongue.gif

i learned a great deal at my high school, and it had an excellent gifted program. plus i got to take courses that i really loved (i took a grand total of 15 english classes during the four years i was there happy.gif ). and i have to say that my teachers there really DID prepare me for college, as some of them were even tougher than my professors are! (but they were good....they forced me to do my best.....wow i sound like a made for TV movie, don't i? blink.gif )

but...because it's a public school, recently funding got cut (it did all over the state) and now kids don't have the option of taking the classes they really love anymore. but the teachers are all still there...well except for the best one, she retired early and began teaching one college class a semester. at my college! happy.gif i've already taken 2 classes from her, lol.

my experience with public school was a great one...but they are quickly deteriorating in this area, and it's really sad to see. sad.gif

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
espresso_bean
post Jul 30 2003, 09:04 PM
Post #23

come run with me

Member No.: 410

i forgot you lived in eastern or. hmmm...could have sworn you live in milwauke or somewhere close to portland. near-er to me........

--------------------
connoiseur of myriad caffeine based liquids,queen of spades humanitarian solitarian, chester's e-sis, interpretive dancer, painter, wielder of the leaping irish nudists, pseudo-ballerina, opera-singer extraordinaire, franz kafka groupie, flirter, hand shaker, sculptor, theatre set designer, robert smith's secret lover, sizzlie's e-spouse ,official uber barista of the league of -ish. but above all this, i am Alicia. [sig chopped by Mata]

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jul 30 2003, 09:07 PM
Post #24

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

well i'm originally from molalla, where the schools are total crap.

i was home schooled my first semester of high school because i just didn't wanna go to the high school there.....it was awful. but then we moved here to eastern OR, and i was happy in the schools.

has anyone else ever been homeschooled? i hated it. it was really boring. i finished all of the work in an hour and then sat around waiting for my friends to get out of regular school.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Jul 30 2003, 10:42 PM
Post #25

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

public school, hugh christie technology college (tryu typing that when you're ptiised its hard)

yup technology college extra money...though it got burnt a little...i think it was a insurance scam....i wouldn't out it past the head person

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 11:09 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!