Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thanks Giving, HAPPY THANKS GIVING
monkey_called_na...
post Nov 17 2003, 11:09 AM
Post #1

I'm an inefficient bear. Maul.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 408

happy thanks givvin yall (it like in a week in a half) im doing thanks giving at my house this year... and i have to cook tons and tons of food...yum yum yum...

--------------------
ATTACK SLOTH!

It's gonna get you... eventually.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Nov 17 2003, 11:39 AM
Post #2

Don't you just love hot water bottles?

Group: New Members
Member No.: 160

a week and a half early? well, at least i know it'll happen soon! being english i tend to forget when thanksgiving is unsure.gif

--------------------
It's not so bad being trendy, everyone who looks like me is my friend...

SHINY...

Freshers Flu is a buttmunch.

+Quote Post
elf
post Nov 17 2003, 04:25 PM
Post #3

disappear with the wandering wind

Member No.: 294

Oh well! I rarely *really* celebrate Thanksgiving... I have some turkey and then I go to sleep. I'm just grateful for the long weekend *nods*

--------------------

You were right if you thought I was dead all this time.
BUT NOW I'M ALIIIIIIIIIVE! 8]

user posted image This is Alex my naughty little husband, he likes my oddness. =D

e-daughter=emiliza*e-brother=cheese is funny*e-sister=candice*e-older-sister=lindylouwho[/b*e-sister=[b]happybunny*e-sister=hinsley*e-cousin=craziness
founder of the anti-mtv movement*SNAPELURVE*grand designer of -ISH*super associate 1 of rwl inc.*we love geeks club*e-police*mr.sb death cult*legion of monkeys that fly sideways*we lurve mata
iway ovelay igpay atinlay
forum whore*anime/manga whore*anti-whore whore
noobs=n/a*graduated n00bs=gothic angel, emiliza, chester, angel_death, docbrown1985*step-noob=starfish*graduated n00b of=craziness

+Quote Post
CrissiLove
post Nov 17 2003, 06:04 PM
Post #4

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 80

Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving to you! smile.gif

Hm.... Pumpkin pie.... Yummmmmm!

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Nov 17 2003, 06:21 PM
Post #5

Has gone untreated for blurriness since 1986

Member No.: 505

Would someone kindly explain to an ignorant Englander what Thanksgiving is?

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Nov 17 2003, 06:33 PM
Post #6

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

Thanksgiving is a holiday where Americans gather together with relatives, watch football, and gorge themselves on turkey, stuffing, and the like until they are all ready to puke.

Well, pretty much, anyway. There's some stuff about the pilgrims having the first Thanksgiving with the Native Americans when they came over here...where they shared the bounty of the harvest and all that stuff. But I don't remember most of that as it's been a good 14 or 15 years since I was forced to make a pilgrim hat out of black construction paper in school and act out the whole thing.

In Canada (their Thanksgiving was last month), it's more of just a harvest celebration, from what I understand. None of the pilgrim-y stuff.

I rather enjoy Thanksgiving myself...though I didn't as a child. I have a HUGE extended family, so we had to rent a church every year to fit all of us under one roof. I usually ended up playing in the cemetery to escape my pesky cousins. That part was fun, but when it came time to eat I had to deal with irritating relatives asking me "Do you have a boyfriend yet?" and other ridiculous things that just serve to irritate a 10 year old.

But, now it's just my immediate family pretty much. We have it at my mom's house every year. This year the hubby's aunt and her hubby are driving in from Washington. I'm not very fond of her..so this should be interesting....

Oh, and by the way...the actual date for Thanksgiving this year is November 27th...sooo yeah this is just a tish bit early. biggrin.gif

I can't wait for that day. I will be done with all of my schoolwork (except for Library Studies, which is easy...)..AHAHAHAHA FREEEE!

Ahem. Dunno where THAT came from. smile.gif

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
CrissiLove
post Nov 17 2003, 06:38 PM
Post #7

Candice described it pretty well.... smile.gif hehe You can read about the history of Thanksgiving Day online (Thanksgiving Day).

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Nov 17 2003, 07:00 PM
Post #8

Oh, I see - another chance for the entire country to ignore the fact that it nicked the land from the natives and persecuted them for centuries. Well, maybe that's just me being cynical (maybe definitely). Sounds like you couldn't wait for Christmas so you invented another festival to fill the time. Am I right?

But seriously, enjoy yo'selves guys. Feed the economy and eat well this Thanksgiving!

+Quote Post
Oni Usagi
post Nov 17 2003, 07:12 PM
Post #9

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 240

QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Nov 17 2003, 03:09 PM)
Oh, I see - another chance for the entire country to ignore the fact that it nicked the land from the natives and persecuted them for centuries. Well, maybe that's just me being cynical (maybe definitely). Sounds like you couldn't wait for Christmas so you invented another festival to fill the time. Am I right?

But seriously, enjoy yo'selves guys. Feed the economy and eat well this Thanksgiving!

Yes America stole the country from the natives. That's something perfect little Englands never done *shakes head*.[/sarcasm]

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Nov 17 2003, 07:30 PM
Post #10

Don't you just love hot water bottles?

Member No.: 160

well, you didn't see us try to kill every native that was here in a time when we WERE supposed to be civilised... dry.gif
back when we colonised, i should think circumstances may have been a little different as it was probably happening everywhere.
and what about the spanish? huh?

lol sorry, but i like to stick up for my people tongue.gif

--------------------
It's not so bad being trendy, everyone who looks like me is my friend...

SHINY...

Freshers Flu is a buttmunch.

+Quote Post
vicrawr
post Nov 17 2003, 07:38 PM
Post #11

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 374

Hey, I didn't steal nothin' from nobody, it was like this when I got here. I like Thanksgiving cuz of the food and family. Plus it means Christmas is getting closer! Squee

One of the things I'm most thankful of are you guys. I love you all. Everyone of you. Starting with the women. Make a line to my right please. Guys on the left for high-fives.

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Nov 17 2003, 08:44 PM
Post #12

Candbrush Threepwood

Oh for goodness sake.

Yeah, we ignore that we stole this country all the time. rolleyes.gif Sure. That's why it's shoved down our throats every year in school. That's why my hometown was named after a tribe. Right. That must be it...of course! Because we're trying to ignore it!

Just like black history month is a way of ignoring slavery. rolleyes.gif

It all makes sense now. Thanks ever so much for enlightening me. Because you know, all of us are so much to blame for our ancestor's actions. Yep. I sure could have prevented my great great great whatever from stealing land..why didn't I?! Shame on me.

rolleyes.gif

The holiday isn't a way of ignoring what happened in the years following the first Thanksgiving. It's meant to be a way of..well..giving thanks....and for remembering that brief moment of peace in our countries history when Native Americans and pilgrims feasted together and celebrated.

Gah. Now I sound like a damned after school special. Well, no matter. The holiday has been in existence for quite a long time now, and is not simply something to hold us over until Christmas.

This isn't a thread to criticize Americans. There are plenty of those. Move on and go complain in those and leave us to our nice little happy holiday, please.

tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Nov 17 2003, 09:54 PM
Post #13

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

I don't know why we should be trying to be all superior the pilgrim came from here orginally so were just as much to blame! If were going to be all finger poitingy and blamey & they went to get away from being pursecuted over here any way. tongue.gif and any way were just probably jelous cause you's get an extra party on us! tongue.gif
So Anyway have a good one & eat way to much! biggrin.gif

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Hyperion
post Nov 18 2003, 05:48 PM
Post #14

samazon

Member No.: 234

You know what. You're ALL WRONG.

Thanksgiving isn't about pilgrims or native americans or lesbian rights...

It's all about the pie...

Anyhoo, Happy T-Day!! Have some pie!! *sets up little signs that say "Free Pie!" and begins serving*

--------------------
I saw you, Walt Whitman, childless, lonely old grubber, poking among the meats in the refrigerator and eyeing the grocery boys. I heard you asking questions of each: Who killed the pork chops? What price bananas? Are you my Angel? Ginsberg

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Nov 18 2003, 07:33 PM
Post #15

I've been brainwashed

Member No.: 526

Yay! Pie! Much better idea. biggrin.gif

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
acidteardrop
post Nov 18 2003, 07:39 PM
Post #16

Nobody Expects - THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

Member No.: 649

im vegetarian...so its tofu and apple pie for me rolleyes.gif

--------------------
im now sextastically married to krys (magikeyes)! i love you so so so so soooooo much!///im engaged to liz(edward_lover)!///I LOVE YOU BOTH!!///I am Missy's slave! yay me!///Krys is my loving girlfriend...i love you infathomably with all my heart, mind, body, soul!///killersquirrel is my first noob ever ^_^///Trina(Spiffy) is me ickle sis! ^_^ /me wuvs trina///Shelly(werewolf) is my older sister! be nice! :P///I am engaged to VVes!///Mina(deaq) is me new n00bie! I LOVE YOU, MIAN!///i have three more n00bies; baldricks gherkinator. they are Jen, David, and Sebastian///Jen must be kept away from microwaves at all times. David must be kept near Jen permanently. Sebastian must not be fed peanuts...he prefers walnuts....
YAY FOR POLYGOMY! YAY FOR YOU ACTUALLY BEING BORED ENOUGH TO ENLARGE ALL OF THIS!

/\_/\ (\ _ /} i would cry but my tears have been stolen
(^.^ ) (='.'=) i would scream but my voice has been taken
(U U ) .(")_(") thus i write.
(''')(''')
kitty attributed to Tigerlily PM me if you are reading ths, i have something to tell you
BI PRIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.webpost.net/ac/acidteardrop/all...ebelongtous.JPG (sorry, that picture's way too big -Commie)

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Nov 18 2003, 08:07 PM
Post #17

Happy Pie Day!

OK, so we weren't exactly a nice empire ourselves, but at least we didn't invent a holiday to celebrate how nice we were when we really, really weren't.

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Nov 18 2003, 08:31 PM
Post #18

Candbrush Threepwood

Neither did we, Polo.

All the mean stuff our country ever did is shoved down our throat from the time we're born. All the time. Like I said before, the day isn't about pretending that we weren't ever naughty...it's about giving thanks for all the good stuff we have. Stuff like pie.

Now shoo. Leave us to our pie.

Yay for pie!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Polocrunch
post Nov 18 2003, 08:42 PM
Post #19

Oh, alright, you can be allowed one day off, I suppose. Enjoy all the nice fattening foods! Yum!

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Nov 18 2003, 08:52 PM
Post #20

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Member No.: 71

Just as an aside, around the time that the Native Americans were being persecuted etc was when the British Empire was finishing off a couple of hundred years of raping, pillaging, perseucting and basically being a bunch of complete bastards to more or less everyone in the world. So there you go.

Anyway, this is my first proper Thanksgiving stateside (spent last year's one in a hotel on my own in the desert in Cali), and the girly's folks are coming into town so we're cooking up a storm. From what I can gather, it's basically Christmas without the presents and the fat bearded bloke.

Mmmm....

Pie.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Guest_Fandangohead676_*
post Nov 24 2003, 12:53 AM
Post #21

Guests

I hate Thanksgiving..........a horrible weekend with my moms superior family.......my grandma who is the bitch of all bitches who hates me and says anything wrong with me every chance she gets cuz im the only 1 with enough guts to talk back, my grandpa who is afraid of standing up to her, the my perfect cousins and there mother and father who im surprised can talk with there lips always on my grans ass!!!*rips out hair and starts screaming at the thought of Thankgiving* sorry just had to get the out. besides that Thanksgivings great!!!!Football!!! YAY!!! the best damn soprt ever besides dressage

+Quote Post
sjbbandgeek
post Nov 24 2003, 02:34 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 618

Turkey Day Nears!!!
Better Watch Some Football
I love Thanksgiving. It's the one day a year I: gorge myself, have fun with my favorite reletives, and and beat the crap out of the ones I don't like during the poker tournament (or the football game).

+Quote Post
MoonlightSavings...
post Nov 24 2003, 06:50 AM
Post #23

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons

Member No.: 383

I never really do anything for Thanksgiving anymore. My own family is half the country away from me, and it doesn't make sense to spend $300 on a plane ticket to spend only a weekend with them to celebrate one holiday (makes more sense to wait till the "big" holiday of christmas when there's generally more vacation time). I can't stand spending Thanksgiving with my boyfriend's family -- their idea of a Thanksgiving dinner is full of cheating. They hate cooking and they hate washing dishes, so barely anything, even for holidays, is home-cooked. They buy everything pre-baked from the grocery store. Pre-baked pie, pre-packaged salads, 10-minute potatoes (e.g. Hungry Jack or Betty Crocker brand), and so forth. Having grown up in a family that does everything from scratch for such holidays, it just seems to ruin it all when replacing all the homemade food with store-made crap.

Anyway, I don't really care to make a big deal out of it. Last year, my dude and I just ate macaroni and went about our regular daily business as if it were not a special day at all. And that's just fine with me. I want some pumpkin pie though. That's all I ask for this time. cool.gif

--------------------
And when I am formulated, sprawling on a pin,
When I am pinned and wriggling on the wall,
Then how should I begin
To spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways?
And how should I presume?
~T.S. Eliot, "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

+Quote Post
CrissiLove
post Nov 24 2003, 08:24 AM
Post #24

I'm baking all of the deserts on Wed. for Thanksgiving.... Pumpking pie included! I'll try to save you a slice to send to you! tongue.gif lol

+Quote Post
MoonlightSavings...
post Nov 24 2003, 09:12 AM
Post #25

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons

Member No.: 383

Yay! Save me a piece of that pumpkin pie, Crissi! Yummm......

--------------------
And when I am formulated, sprawling on a pin,
When I am pinned and wriggling on the wall,
Then how should I begin
To spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways?
And how should I presume?
~T.S. Eliot, "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 08:11 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!