Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Friends, How Do You Define Friend?
Mitcea
post Mar 5 2004, 11:39 AM
Post #1

Group: New Members
Member No.: 985

For over a year I was senior staff on another website. Recently I quit due to continued abuse from some of the members. While there I had written many articles, interviews and tutorials. This one in particular poses some interesting questions. It seems many here are "friends" and it makes me curious.

Please read and give your thoughts on "Friends". Thank you.

Friend (noun):
A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts.
A person whom one knows; an acquaintance.
A person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause; a comrade.
How do you define friend?

When you meet someone there is always this new world of possibilities that opens. All kinds of opportunities present themselves for what could develop between two people.

Will you have lots in common? Will you learn new and wonderful things from one another? Will you even like each other? Will it develop into more than just a casual acquaintance? Will it be more than just friends? The only limits to this are what the people place on the encounter.

In life we all need relationships. Not necessarily “love” relations, but friendships. Who would want to go through life knowing you will never have a friend, confidant, pal or buddy? How boring life would be without our friends. No one to tell secrets to, share hopes, laugh with, care about, cry to, listen to, be there for the good bad and everything in between. That is not the life for me.

Does it matter what your friend looks like? Not usually the case. Otherwise who would tell you not to wear the striped shirt with the plaid pants? How about the smartest? That would get very boring if we could not learn from our friends. Or the skinniest? Don’t know about everyone else, but I really dislike skinny people wink.gif. So why did you pick your friends? Did you really pick them or did it just happen?

Friend to me is a confidant. Share points of view on some things, others you disagree on. You have similar values and core beliefs, most of the time. There is a commonality to most things with my friends. If I were to gather all my friends at one time, in one room it would be a good time for all. They would all get along so well!

Included in that group would have to be some of the people I have meet online. These are persons who have touched me and my life in some way, and left it better than it was before, better richer and more interesting.

That brings me to my question; No matter how long or how well we know someone why do we discount our friends “online” from our friends off line (real life (RL) as some say)? They are “real”. The live, breath, have lives and are human just like you. Is it because we do not see them it makes it imaginary? When did we become so rich in friends we could dispose of some?

Eleanor Roosevelt wrote:
Friends
Many people will walk in and out of your life,
but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart.
To handle yourself, use your head;
to handle others, use your heart.
Anger is only one letter short of danger.
If someone betrays you once, it is his fault;
if he betrays you twice, it is your fault.
Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
He, who loses money, loses much;
He, who loses a friend, loses much more;
He, who loses faith, loses all.
Beautiful young people are accidents of nature,
but beautiful old people are works of art.
Learn from the mistakes of others;
you can't live long enough to make them all yourself.
Friends, you and me....
You brought another friend....
And then there were 3....
We started our group....
Our circle of friends....
And like that circle....
There is no beginning or end....

How do you define friend?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Enslaved
post Mar 5 2004, 12:40 PM
Post #2

Holy Goddess of Natopia... since 1985

Member No.: 822

Don’t know about everyone else, but I really dislike skinny people .

This skinny person dislikes you. dry.gif

--------------------
user posted image

I lie, I wait, I stop, I hesitate, I am, I breathe, I meant, I think of me. Is it any wonder I can't sleep? All I have is all you gave to me. Is it any wonder I found peace through you? Its not enough, just a touch. Its not enough. I taste, I love, I come, I bleed enough, I hate, I'm not, I was, I want too much. Its not enough, just a touch. Its not enough.

+Quote Post
Mitcea
post Mar 5 2004, 01:18 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 985

That as you can see was meant as a joke. Hence the wink smilie behind it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Mar 5 2004, 03:41 PM
Post #4

F*cking with the best since 1996

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 962

I find that the people who are my closest and dearest friends are the ones that you can forget to call for months on end and then when you do call, it's like you saw them just yesterday. No recriminations for forgetting to call. Just laid back and happy to be chatting.

I think that makes people who you speak to online equally as valid as any other friend that I may have. In fact, I speak to some people here more often than I speak to people I've known forever.

Is that odd?

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Mar 5 2004, 05:28 PM
Post #5

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

This is how I define my friends:

smile.gif

As long as they can make me do this I don't need to know anything more!

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
Jaq
post Mar 5 2004, 05:46 PM
Post #6

Took this grammar!

Member No.: 165

Friend: Someone that doesn't force me to override my natural lazyness to take the time and effort to kill them.

--------------------
Everytime the blue screen went out, Stan the weatherman suffered an existential crisis.

+Quote Post
vicrawr
post Mar 5 2004, 06:05 PM
Post #7

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 374

Most people on the forums.

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Mar 5 2004, 08:40 PM
Post #8

Don't you just love hot water bottles?

Member No.: 160

like trina, anyone that does this smile.gif or this biggrin.gif or this laugh.gif
and someone that likes to dress up with me as ph34r.gif
hehe. i just love people in general!

--------------------
It's not so bad being trendy, everyone who looks like me is my friend...

SHINY...

Freshers Flu is a buttmunch.

+Quote Post
franken-sarah
post Mar 5 2004, 09:02 PM
Post #9

A monster of someone elses creation...

Member No.: 873

To me friends are people that are: reliable, honourable, trust-worthy, funny and caring - the rest are acqaintances! smile.gif

--------------------
Come freely, and of your own will, and leave behind some of the happiness that you bring with you...

+Quote Post
jicama
post Mar 5 2004, 10:57 PM
Post #10

a hoopy frood who really knows where her towel is

Member No.: 46

a friend is someone that you can feel perfectly comfortable saying "nobody likes you" to, to which they will smile and say "i hate your guts and hope you die" back.

a friend is someone who you can argue with for over four hours about something stupid and trivial.

a friend is someone whom you can trust to tell you when you have something caught in your teeth.

--------------------
i don't need eternal truth, i've got shadow puppets!

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Mar 5 2004, 11:56 PM
Post #11

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

people i'm comfortable to be myself around

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Fluffy
post Mar 6 2004, 12:05 AM
Post #12

Haibane

Member No.: 731

One who is similar to me, yet still very different, one who is kind to and respects me, and one who will always be willing to forgive and forget, that would be the perfect friend for me. But, no one being perfect, being similar to that (well, sometimes even nothing like that) is okay with me.

--------------------
Odd Numbers = Raisins
Proudly e-married to Silver Star! This happened on January 11, 2004.
I'm DarkProtector's foob!

+Quote Post
Sir Maxerpopple
post Mar 6 2004, 12:16 AM
Post #13

Is conformity, consumption, and obedience really that bad?

Member No.: 644

I have different circles of friends that all play different roles. My two closest friends are of incredible importance to me. One is my emotional support, my confidante, someone whom I love deeply. Unfortunately we aren't speaking right now, all my fault. My other very close friend is my intellectual friend utmost. We will have a conversation on moral objectivism and then it immediately change to art history, to ancient civilizations. We are very alike, we have a great time.

The rest of my friends don't provide an emotionally supportive role, but many provide various intellectual roles as well as simply a good time. My different friends provide different specialities intellectually, we are quite an odd bunch together.

And here's my word of advice to all of you, never do anything to jeopardize a friendship. I did and regret it every day. I can only hope she'll forgive me. Never do it. Ever. Keep yourself in check. Your friends are your most important thing you have. Never lose them.

--------------------
Still around, just lurking.

+Quote Post
Tigersong
post Mar 6 2004, 02:03 AM
Post #14

Rabid Saskatchewanian

Member No.: 752

A friend is someone who will clean up the puke.

--------------------
At the Left Hand of God

OMFG STEAM R0X0RZ TEH BIG ONE111!
Thou shalt not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination. Thou shalt do it standing up.
Dominating Aries, e-hubby, since 2004.

+Quote Post
TigerLily013
post Mar 6 2004, 05:24 AM
Post #15

~¤~Sanity Impaired since 1986~¤~

Member No.: 82

Someone who is close to me, understands and respects who I am without judgement of negative thought. Someone who is trustworthy, and will be by my side abnd vise versa. I love my friends.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tigersong
post Mar 6 2004, 05:47 AM
Post #16

Rabid Saskatchewanian

Member No.: 752

A friend is also someone who you can make sounds like a musk ox around, and they won't judge you. To your face at least.

--------------------
At the Left Hand of God

OMFG STEAM R0X0RZ TEH BIG ONE111!
Thou shalt not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination. Thou shalt do it standing up.
Dominating Aries, e-hubby, since 2004.

+Quote Post
gerbilfromhell
post Mar 6 2004, 11:52 AM
Post #17

Remorseless posting machine

Member No.: 15

There's two kinds of friends:

1.) The kind of person that you're friendly with, like to talk to and hang out with, but isn't exactly a 'true friend'. That's just a generic definition. This kind of friend could also be someone you trust, someone you've known all your life, or just about anything as long as you don't consider him/her a 'true' friend.

2.) A 'true friend'. The only way I can define this is someone that you consider to be a true friend and who's friendship never seems like work (there're always times for people who aren't 'true friends' where the friendship seems like work). There's plenty of other things that make a 'true friend', but they're all so different from person to person. The only other thing I can think of is that you trust that friend completely. These friends, on the other hand, are generally very few and far between.

+Quote Post
cUt3 KiTYgUrL
post Mar 6 2004, 03:00 PM
Post #18

Super advanced member

Member No.: 967

a fiend is someone u can tell wat to do and they wont not do it. also they half to be relly funny!!

--------------------
QUEENIE IS MY N00B PERSON!!! I :WUB: HER SOOOOOOO MUCH!!!

+Quote Post
Enslaved
post Mar 6 2004, 03:17 PM
Post #19

Holy Goddess of Natopia... since 1985

Member No.: 822

"True friends stab you in the front." - Oscar Wilde.

--------------------
user posted image

I lie, I wait, I stop, I hesitate, I am, I breathe, I meant, I think of me. Is it any wonder I can't sleep? All I have is all you gave to me. Is it any wonder I found peace through you? Its not enough, just a touch. Its not enough. I taste, I love, I come, I bleed enough, I hate, I'm not, I was, I want too much. Its not enough, just a touch. Its not enough.

+Quote Post
Alaric
post Mar 7 2004, 07:06 AM
Post #20

The Wrath of The MUFFIN

Member No.: 821

Don’t know about everyone else, but I really dislike skinny people .

don be hatin just because we have high matabolism...sad.gif not our fault.

I don know how to define a friend because i never been able to have a "True friend" because the longest i've know someone is 3 years(in person.. i've known someone i never met for like 6) But i guess it could be someone who will never backstab you, tell your secrets or pressure you into anything. If you fight with a firend you should be able to make up if they are a good one, if not, then it wasn't a good friendship.. i guess.

--------------------
user posted image
Hyperion's Harem©
Muffinism Ruler/Founder
check my forum out

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 06:22 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!