IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I'll Just Take This From My Other Forum, Saddening post, for me.
EvilSpork
post Apr 21 2004, 12:48 AM
Post #1

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 829

Be prepared for a saddening post, please. And to relieve you of your fears, Potat is still quite alive.

I had always wanted a rat ever since I can remember. I know I always asked my mom when I was about 3. I look back you know, and I know I wouldn't have cared for the rat or would have gave it enough attention. But, you know, I still always loved rats and wanted one. About 3 years ago, now, my mother had finally given in. Bubbles and Beaks was exactly the place I wanted to look, because The Pet Store is a horrible place. They put too many animals in one cage, mistreat them, mix male and female rodents causing even more over population and sometimes you even see dead baby animals in the cages there. So I made my way to Bubbles and Beaks. They aren't a large chain or anything, just a small one owner place that does all their breeding in the store. The time I went they only had 2, and the lady told me "These guys are lovable, rats are lovable, but right now these two are 6 months old so if you want to wait we should have another litter in about 2 weeks."

What did I do? I let one of the rats pick me. He came home with a different name than you all know, his name was Reese at the time. We all know and love him as Potat. That name came from a kindergartener's spelling of "Potato", they had forgotten the last O every time.

Well, I had him for a year or more and then a tumor developed, and he started sleeping on his back because it hurt to sleep on the side with the stitches, and I snapped a picture of him, the picture you see at the beginning of this thread. Before that surgery he had fought off a small problem, a ratty sickness. Well, he fought through the sickness, the surgery... He was a warrior. He was still active and playful, even on his medicine.

He's been with me for about 3 years now, he isn't a pet or an animal, he's a friend and companion. He is ancient. Rats live on an average 1-2 years. He's beaten the average, and he never was average to me. He was above average, he was a friend, a true friend because no matter how many times I screwed up he was still there to lick my fingers and lips, to play, to just cuddle and lay on my lap.

Three years. If you put the 1-2 years on an average with human years, 1 rat year would be about 37 human years. Potat is ancient, 111 human years about. He's had a good life, and this is his claim to fame. His life has been long and for the most part happy. Sure he might have had some things to fight through, but he is a warrior, he is strong.

These last few months he has been slowing down and moving around less, and he doesn't even come out to greet me or stand up on my chest to lick my face or lips. Over the last few months his legs have become for the most part paralyzed, he cannot stay on my shoulder anymore. Now he can hardly lift his back leg to scratch himself. It makes me so sad to watch him go through this and I know he is old, and it will be his time to go soon. He can't move his tail (from what I have observed) pretty much at all anymore. And these last few months I have been completely spoiling him.

Right now he lays still in my lap, eyes open staring straight forward, breathing a little slower as the days go by, moving a little less than he use to... My closest companion is dying. I love Potat, and losing a pet doesn't get easier with age as Tek has said before, if anything it is worse because you know more about life, love, family and, sadly, death.

May his last days/weeks/months be the best of his life. As a Freddie Mercury song is called, these are the days of our lives. And these are the days, the last ones, of Potat's. Let's make them the best. I don't know what else to say about Potat's life, he has lived the life of a rat king. He's lived a good, long life, and I'll accept it when he is ready to go.

-Andy Hillier, proud to be Potat's friend and care taker.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Apr 21 2004, 12:52 AM
Post #2

ever-hopeful since 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

I'm sorry Potat is dying. The loss of a pet isn't easy at all. Just be thankful you have these last days to spend with him. We're all here for you if you need us. *hugs*

+Quote Post
Sir Maxerpopple
post Apr 21 2004, 12:54 AM
Post #3

Is conformity, consumption, and obedience really that bad?

Group: New Members
Member No.: 644

It'll be sad to see him go for you, but he lived as you say quite a long life. Best of luck to both of you.

--------------------
Still around, just lurking.

+Quote Post
Dreams On Hiatus
post Apr 21 2004, 01:07 AM
Post #4

<3

Member No.: 806

I'm sorry. unsure.gif

I had to put my own closest companion down because he had diabetes. I miss my poor cat, Butterscotch. (called Boo bear for short.)

Just think, when Potat passes on, he'll be in less pain...

And don't let it sadden you for too long. Honor his memory by remembering all the good times. smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image Dance, kitteh, dance!
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
monkey_called_na...
post Apr 21 2004, 01:50 AM
Post #5

I'm an inefficient bear. Maul.

Member No.: 408

*pets her rat pirate thats 6 mounths old*

i hope she doesnt get sick... i love my pirate baby... and ive lost 2 rats in the past year (they both got loose becauase of stupid room mates... they will be forever remimbered and fink and spaz)

im sorry aout your rat....

*hugs pirate agin*

--------------------
ATTACK SLOTH!

It's gonna get you... eventually.

+Quote Post
EvilSpork
post Apr 21 2004, 02:01 AM
Post #6

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang

Potat's been a good friend for the past 2 and a half years (I got him when he was 6 months old, I absolutely adored him and didn't want to wait for their next litter) And he's lived a good long life, and I'm sure he is ready when his time comes. I just don't know what I'll do without him though... I love the little guy and it's just so sad seeing him have trouble with such simple things as scratching himself...

+Quote Post
Kyo
post Apr 21 2004, 02:41 AM
Post #7

Worrying

Member No.: 1,071

your story is heartbreaking... sad.gif i know how youre feeling. the same thing is happening to my friends greyhound ( 12 yo ). just dont let the inevitable get you down. have as much fun as you can with him... make sure he'll remember you, here or there.

--------------------
I am Demon-Eyes Kyo. I've killed thousands... do you think your death would make any difference to me?
Love...such a frail thing... It's a wonder it lives as long as it does
Cry me a river, build me a bridge, and get over it - C.K
>(|||>

+Quote Post
TigerLily013
post Apr 21 2004, 03:14 AM
Post #8

~¤~Sanity Impaired since 1986~¤~

Member No.: 82

I know what you guys are thinking. Yes I am posting and it is NOT the end of april yet. Well in this case, I think that touching story lets me be flexable this one time.

Evilspoon, I hear ya 100% clear. I had my companion cat friend named max for years. I loved him so much as much as you love Potat will now. I know it is sad for you to watch him slowly fade away, but be lucky you spend the last times with him. I did not get that chance, Max went missing and never returned...still to this day I still ask myself why...why?

As I write this I am crying for him, crying for you and your sweet rat. If it is ok with you I would love to have your story on my site to post. I know Potat will be in good hands with his owner. I believe these lyrics seem appropiate for this whole thing:

I wanted you to know
I love the way you laugh
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain away
I keep your photograph
I know it serves me
Well, I wanna hold you high and steal your pain

Cuz I'm broken when I'm open
And I dont feel like I am strong enough
Because I'm broken when I'm lonesome
And I don't feel right when you're gone away

You've gone away
You don't feel me here anymore

The worst is over now
And we can breathe again
I wanna hold you high and steal my pain away
There’s so much left to learn
And no one left to fight
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain

Cuz I'm broken when I'm open
And I don't feel like I am strong enough
Cuz I'm broken when I'm lonesome
And I don't feel right when you're gone away

Cause Im broken when I'm open
And I don't feel like I am strong enough
Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
And I don't feel light when you're gone away

--------------------

+Quote Post
EvilSpork
post Apr 23 2004, 03:51 PM
Post #9

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang

Oh.. Um... Yes, you can post it on your site if you wish. Just been busy lately... Didn't realize you asked...

+Quote Post
phoenix
post Apr 23 2004, 04:38 PM
Post #10

si hoc legere scis ninium eruditionis habes

Member No.: 252

<hugs spoon> its not easy losing a pet and its the worse, most helpless feeling when you see them suffering. no animal should have to go though that pain. we all know the feeling of losing a pet, and it seems that even though they lived longer then anyone expected its the biggest shock when they are dieing. i know thats how it is with my lab, hershey. hes 16 years old now, and still thinks hes' a puppy even when he hurts soo very much. animals let you know when they cant go on anymore, funny how they cant speak, but they communicate loud and clear. nothing will replace of loved ones, people or pets.

--------------------
You are a wealthy crook and want to take over the world, you:

[A] Steal the secret plans to the U.S. Strategic Defense Initiative and hold the world ransom for $1,000,000,000.
[B] Own Microsoft
[C] Plant subliminal messages in the news Tom Brokaw reads every night: "(((send $1 to PO Box 426, Missoula, MT 59806)))"
[D] Capture the only man in the universe who can stop you, tell him your plans, then place him in an easily escapable situation with an air duct linking him to every country in the Northern Hemisphere and leave him alone.

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Apr 23 2004, 04:54 PM
Post #11

Flaps and spins on the spot

Member No.: 390

I'm sorry to hear about Potat sad.gif *hugs* I cried lots when my goldfish died. Everyone thought I was mad. "It's only a goldfish" they'd tell me. Still I'd been with Wandsworth for 4 years, he moved to Sheffield with me. He watched Eastenders and waved his fin at me when I walked over to the bowl. He had character (if that can be said about goldfish) and he was my first pet. I loved him and, I'm sure if it's capable, he loved me back smile.gif

I know how you feel. I watched Wandsworth get more and more poorly and nothing I did made him any better. He was just old. He's happier now in goldfish heaven smile.gif

We had a family dog, a Dalmation (called Split), when I was younger and he died when I was 15. I'd grown up with him and it cut me very deeply. I still get tearful now when I think about him. He was the best dog ever smile.gif

*hugs* just *lots of hugs*

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
TigerLily013
post Apr 24 2004, 10:48 PM
Post #12

~¤~Sanity Impaired since 1986~¤~

Member No.: 82

QUOTE (EvilSpoon @ Apr 23 2004, 10:50 AM)
Oh.. Um... Yes, you can post it on your site if you wish. Just been busy lately... Didn't realize you asked...

I figured as much. Plus I noticed my posts seem to be temporary thread killers in a way. Meh.

But thanks for the permission, I only asked because im doing a while tribute to max and all lost pets a like so I thought your story was perfect and appropiate.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post Apr 25 2004, 09:59 PM
Post #13

The Six Train.

Member No.: 636

*snif* Omg i am soooooo sorry. *hugs you and Potat* If you ever wanna talk, you know who to call! laugh.gif

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.

+Quote Post
EvilSpork
post Apr 30 2004, 07:14 PM
Post #14

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang

Pray. Please, just pray.

Potat's in really bad shape... Really bad.

+Quote Post
reaper
post May 2 2004, 01:07 AM
Post #15

I live again......

Member No.: 358

Sorry to here about your rat Spoon I hope he can get better, just try and be strong.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 12:07 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!