Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Origin Of The 's' Word
Dreams On Hiatus
post May 13 2004, 02:51 AM
Post #1

<3

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 806

Y'all've probably heard of this already but I figured I'd post anyway (btw I dunno if I got it all right, as I just pulled it from my...brain):

Do you know where the word 'sh1t' came from? It is an acronym (right word?) It stands for Ship High In Transit. You see, back -- a long time ago --- a really long time ago--- they shipped manure in ships -- not in bags, but out in the open (probably smelled really bad. Kinda like an old guy going for a run after eating a hundred cans of those baked beans). Well, since it was on a ship, natrually, it got wet (from storms when the water sloshed on board). Once it got wet, it started to, uh, decompose, I think. Well, it let off a whole lotta methane (you know, fart gas). Some of the sailors would have to go down there to turn over the manure, and they would bring lamps with them. (note: Methane is flammable. That is why when someone holds a lighter up to their arse after they fart the flame flares a bit. Not that anyone has done that. Uh, yeah. Well I haven't, just in case you're wondering.) Obviously, when they got down there, with the lamps, the ship exploded. So then they would put the manure on higher levels to keep it from combusting. Thus 'ship high in transit' now shortened to 'sh1t'.

Now, I'm curious as to where other words of this type came from. Does anyone know?

--------------------
IPB Image Dance, kitteh, dance!
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post May 13 2004, 02:58 AM
Post #2

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

History of The "F" word

I need say no more.

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
Tigersong
post May 13 2004, 03:17 AM
Post #3

Rabid Saskatchewanian

Member No.: 752

No, that's just another urban legend. Sh1t goes back farther than that. Check out it's etymology here. It's derived from an old English word, meaning "to defecate." Goes back long before "Ship High In Transit." Another link about this.

Sort of like the urban legend surrounding the "F" word. "Fornication Under Consent of the King". Mere urban legends all, I'm afraid.

Still, it's amusing to postulate where our "dirty" words came from.

--------------------
At the Left Hand of God

OMFG STEAM R0X0RZ TEH BIG ONE111!
Thou shalt not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination. Thou shalt do it standing up.
Dominating Aries, e-hubby, since 2004.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 10:12 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!