> Dragon Boat Festival, throw your sticky rice in the sea
Ashbless
post Jun 21 2004, 04:29 AM
Post #1

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,112

June 22 is the Chinese Dragon Boat Festival

Another great sign that summer is here or almost here. If someone has more information about this holiday I would love to know what it's about. What is with throwing sticky rice in the sea?

Happy Holiday!

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Jun 23 2004, 01:07 AM
Post #2

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

Is it just me, or does someone else see a common dragon-Chinese relationship? blink.gif I've never heard of this festival 'til I read this thread. I'm just as ignorant as the next fellow! But one out of 5 people living today is Chinese, so someone needs to enlighten us...unsure.gif if I decide not to be lazy I'll Google it.

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Jun 23 2004, 03:49 AM
Post #3

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

Okay apparently the rice thing is this. Excuse the typing - cat is helping.
There was a much beloved poet loved more than the ruler. the ruler ad the poet killed out of jealosy. The body of the poet was then tossed in the sea. the people threw sticky rice into the ocean so the fish would leave the body of the poet untouched. The rice wou;d eat the rice. The body remains could then be retrieved and properly dealt with. Given an honourable funeral.
I asked if any of the poets writting was still around but there was a breakdown in understanding. Tired people without a good grasp of eac others language -style o thing.
More info is required. biggrin.gif
Apparently marks the start of summer.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 12:29 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!