Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crawley Circus Convention, You don't have to be good at anything
Mata
post Jul 16 2004, 01:42 PM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

(except perhaps sitting around chatting/getting slowly drunk if you like that kind of thing).

I think I've mentioned this elsewhere on the forum, but I've lost where that was.

Crawley Circus Convention is a reet good laugh, essentially it is a weekend dedicated to getting rather drunk and throwing things in the air, in that order. It's happening on the 13th-15th August 2004. For more info, check out here:

http://circuswurx.co.uk/conv.html

It all happens in the grounds of the Hawth Theatre in Crawley http://circuswurx.co.uk/conv_where.html

You camp for two days, but there are proper indoor showers and toilets available, and the theatre does typical pub-food in its bar. There is also a vegetarian catering wagon thing. All in all, it's not really roughing it too much.

You really don't have to be able to juggle, just to be able to chat and chill with new friends. Being willing to give juggling a try helps though! People turn up at all times on the Friday night, wander around the site, get drunk.

The Saturday is occupied with workshops for people who actually want to learn how to do things (bizarrely I'm teaching two this year) and in the evening there is a professional show in the main theatre, followed by a fire show, and then an informal renegade show (for anyone who can do a good trick) which generally has things that are great and lots of stuff that's rubbish but entertaining, including a brilliant impersonation of Uncle from The Adventure Game (if you remember that). The last bit eventually deteriorates as the evening winds on until everyone is too tired/drunk to continue, then it all goes a bit hazy.

The Sunday is occupied with nursing of hangovers. There are workshops for the public (because the festival is part funded by the council so needs to give something back to non-hungover society). There is another informal show in the afternoon and then people wander off around 5pm.

It's actually quite a cheap weekend, £11.50 before 1 August (£14 from 2 August). If you bring along a bar-be-que then it gets even cheaper because you're not so reliant on the catering food.

I'm going to be there, as is Sues, Mr and Mrs Jonman will be there, as will Jonman's brother, some of Jonman's brother's friends, a friend of Sues' and mine, and also Funked)out Frog from these forums will be there (I first met her many years ago at the festival).

There's going to be a good crowd, many of whom can't juggle, so does anyone else fancy joining our band of waifs and strays?

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Jul 17 2004, 06:33 PM
Post #2

Don't you just love hot water bottles?

Group: New Members
Member No.: 160

i'm so thinking about that now laugh.gif
and sounded just like an american tweenager blink.gif *shudders*

i'll update here in about a week when i know smile.gif

--------------------
It's not so bad being trendy, everyone who looks like me is my friend...

SHINY...

Freshers Flu is a buttmunch.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jul 19 2004, 12:37 AM
Post #3

Cool, the more the merrier. After being at a wedding last night it's now possible that another of my two oldest friends will be coming along.

I'm really looking forward to it!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Jul 19 2004, 08:09 PM
Post #4

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,174

I so urg y'all to come: I though I was the best thing since sliced bread when I rode a unicycle (with stabalisers tongue.gif ) there a few years ago.

Like Mata says, you dont need to be a juggler, or the like, just willing to chill and chat. biggrin.gif

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Jul 20 2004, 05:34 PM
Post #5

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Member No.: 71

QUOTE (funked)out_frog @ Jul 19 2004, 02:09 PM)
I so urg y'all to come: I though I was the best thing since sliced bread when I rode a unicycle (with stabalisers tongue.gif ) there a few years ago.

Like Mata says, you dont need to be a juggler, or the like, just willing to chill and chat. biggrin.gif

It's all a ploy - they'll suck your brains out through your knees.

Oh.

No, hold on, I'm getting confused. Yup, right you are - an entire contingent of the extended Man family will be going along. Tickets are booked and everything. Even managed to blag a tent off me brother too.

Who are you FunkedOutFrog - have I met you?

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Jul 20 2004, 07:27 PM
Post #6

omno-ahhhhhhh!

I think I may know you dry.gif

I went Summer 2002, with my family. <lots of my family. all of whom will hopefuly be coming again this year biggrin.gif they all went last year, but I didnt. sad.gif hmmm, *rubs imaginary goatee*

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Jul 20 2004, 08:10 PM
Post #7

Duck Hunter S Thompson

QUOTE (funked)out_frog @ Jul 20 2004, 01:27 PM)
I think I may know you dry.gif

I went Summer 2002, with my family. <lots of my family. all of whom will hopefuly be coming again this year biggrin.gif they all went last year, but I didnt. sad.gif hmmm, *rubs imaginary goatee*

Err, I'm pretty sure I was there that year. I would have spent most of the weekend hanging out with Mata, and my brother, who's a taller, skinnier, balder version of me.

I feel like I should remember you, but I don't yet.

I'm normally top banana with faces anyway.

See you there then!

--------------------

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Jul 20 2004, 08:16 PM
Post #8

omno-ahhhhhhh!

hmm, now I'm thinkning about it, in the 'who can juggle clubs with their partner at the furthest distance' knock out competition, did u team up with Mata?

I have kinda big curly hair. I dont remember your bro, but hey dry.gif

see you there biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jul 21 2004, 12:04 AM
Post #9

Mhari camps in the huge bright orange uber tent thingy which seems to fit about a dozen people in it (although it's probably about seven). I'm not sure if Jon was there in 2002, that might have been one of the ones he missed... It all gets a bit fuzzy when I try to discern the events of one convention from another.

Lil'Pie, any further thoughts?

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Jul 21 2004, 10:13 AM
Post #10

Duck Hunter S Thompson

QUOTE (Mata @ Jul 20 2004, 06:04 PM)
Mhari camps in the huge bright orange uber tent thingy which seems to fit about a dozen people in it (although it's probably about seven). I'm not sure if Jon was there in 2002, that might have been one of the ones he missed... It all gets a bit fuzzy when I try to discern the events of one convention from another.

Lil'Pie, any further thoughts?

Aha! I remember now!

Tall girl, black hair, mixed-race with glasses and a squillion young siblings/cousins/hangers-on.

Goddit!

(apologies if I got any of that wrong Mhari, that's how you look in my head...)

--------------------

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Jul 21 2004, 04:28 PM
Post #11

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Tall girl, black hair, mixed-race with glasses and a squillion young siblings/cousins/hangers-on.

thats me alright biggrin.gif

/edit: ty for clearing it up Mata wink.gif

(btw, am I using /edit the right way?)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jul 21 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #12

If you are typing in correct English and people are understanding you correctly then you must be doing it right. Usually I don't bother with putting 'edit:' on the start of new bits in my posts because I usually change things seconds after I first post it and I figure no-one's read it by then.

Funk, you do realise that you really should learn to juggle this year? Although, that said, I doubt my gf will...

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Jul 21 2004, 11:42 PM
Post #13

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Mata, my aunt has tried teaching me since I was knee hight to a grass hopper. I get so easily frustrated when I cannae get the hang of summit. 15 years of trying. sad.gif

I'll tell you what, if Suz is up for a an attempt at learning, I'll give it a go too. wink.gif

I just have a really bad time co-ordinating balls, or clubs for that matter. I get along better with poi (balls on string) and staff's, simply because there is a conection between my hand and the object tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Aug 11 2004, 11:12 PM
Post #14

omno-ahhhhhhh!

less than 48 hours to go. Funked is quite excied. << hasnt been camping in a while. yay. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 11 2004, 11:53 PM
Post #15

I'm really excited too, although from dicsussions with Sues tonight it seems extremely unlikely that she is at all bothered about learnign to juggle this year.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Aug 12 2004, 07:55 AM
Post #16

Duck Hunter S Thompson

QUOTE (Mata @ Aug 11 2004, 04:53 PM)
I'm really excited too, although from dicsussions with Sues tonight it seems extremely unlikely that she is at all bothered about learnign to juggle this year.

Not to worry - we'll be bringing all sorts of non-juggling entertainment. Well, a pair of ferrets and a pair of gameboys anyway. That ought to do.

I think Kat's keen on learning to diablo a bit more - I'll get her one from the juggling selling folk, and we'll ship her off to the beginners workshop. She's got little to no change of actually learning to juggle per se, as she's got monocular vision, hence no depth perception. Which incidentally, is also the reason you never see pirates juggling, what with the eyepatch and everything.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 12 2004, 10:15 AM
Post #17

I can imagine that passing routines also tend to end up with splash noises when attempted on-board too, which is a shame really because otherwise it would be the perfect way to pass those long hours at sea.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Aug 12 2004, 11:25 AM
Post #18

Duck Hunter S Thompson

QUOTE (Mata @ Aug 12 2004, 03:15 AM)
I can imagine that passing routines also tend to end up with splash noises when attempted on-board too, which is a shame really because otherwise it would be the perfect way to pass those long hours at sea.

Not to mention the rolling of the deck being somewhat offputting. Like trying to juggle on a trampoline. Which is bloody difficult, let me tell you. And yes, I have tried.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 12 2004, 11:32 AM
Post #19

That becomes a lot easier if you stop bouncing.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Aug 12 2004, 12:43 PM
Post #20

Duck Hunter S Thompson

QUOTE (Mata @ Aug 12 2004, 04:32 AM)
That becomes a lot easier if you stop bouncing.

then what's the point of being on a trampoline, then, eh? EH?

--------------------

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Aug 12 2004, 07:27 PM
Post #21

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

Awwwh! It sounds like fun! I wish I could go but I'll be in Nottingham decorating my house (yay!) rolleyes.gif

Hope the weather is good, I imagine trying to juggle while trying not to sink in mud could be quite umm...difficult.

smile.gif have fun!

--------------------
IPB Image
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Aug 12 2004, 07:33 PM
Post #22

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Jonman

she's got monocular vision, hence no depth perception. Which incidentally, is also the reason you never see pirates juggling, what with the eyepatch and everything

Oh. That explains soo much. I don't have depth perception. I knew it ment I'd never be a fighter pilot, but never put two and two together. now I know why years of being (attemptet to be) taught to juggle have resulted in nowt. oh-er. summit new ever day. well, I'll just have to put my efforts in to the unicyle with stabalisers again. oh yay. wink.gif

*wonders off thinking about a carreer as a pirate*

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 12 2004, 10:43 PM
Post #23

Mahri, one thing: please make sure that I'm pronouncing your name correctly this time! It's the kind of thing that I like to get right!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
ravein
post Aug 12 2004, 11:23 PM
Post #24

Many fools can now anticipate pity!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 40

I bet I missed you guys.. but.. I hope you have a fagulous time!!!! Please dont get drunk and juggle fire... or poi for that matter biggrin.gif

--------------------
Proud Cronie since Feb 26, 2003
"When women act like women, they are accused of being inferior. When women act like human beings, they are accused of behaving like men." —Simone de Beauvoir
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. -Anais Nin
No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots. -Barbara Ehrenreich

live journal

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Aug 13 2004, 08:12 AM
Post #25

Duck Hunter S Thompson

QUOTE (ravein @ Aug 12 2004, 04:23 PM)
I bet I missed you guys.. but.. I hope you have a fagulous time!!!! Please dont get drunk and juggle fire... or poi for that matter biggrin.gif

Hmm, yes.

During past conventions, I've managed to singe my eyebrows (don't firebreath into the wind, kids), set fire to my head (fire poi - nuff said), and incurred numerous RBIs (random beer injuries). I also narrowly avoided a run in with the fabled Crawley Badger as well, which was lucky.

I've given up firebreathing of late, not for safety reasons per se, more for the fact that burps that taste of paraffin aren't very nice.

However, not to say that I'm all grown up and boring - I've packed my fire devilstick! Woo-hoo!

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2014 - 09:30 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!